The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, February 08, 2023

Eating Lunch


 

In the few spare moments I have in today's hectic schedule, I am eating lunch and typing here on the blog.  Both feel valuable for me to do.  But, because I have to do both together, it is a day of bullets here:

  • While I am staunchly (U.S.) Democratic in my political leanings and usually agree with ~95% of the American Democratic agenda.... I have,  over the last several years developed a strong aversion to listening to ANY politician SPEAK, even if he/she is talking about things I agree with.  None of the talk EVER seems honest nor sincere.... but is just some form of pandering, aggrandizing, and/or a huge amount of fighting and hyperbole.... that I simply no longer feel any desire to waste time on listening to it anymore. 
  • Unfortunately, with the severe decline of most newspapers, and the few good ones are OUTRAGEOUSLY PRICED (a weekday copy of the New York Times is $6.00), I have to seek Internet sources for news information.  Whether political, social, societal or catastrophe based, finding national, regional, and local news is more of a pain in the posterior than ever before.  Sure, it is easy to find flashing headlines, but more in-depth information.... damn hard to find with any reliability.     Some is available in news stories from the online BBC, some from online NPR, but it is not particularly broad based and comprehensive like a newspaper had been.  And, their broadcasts.... while good, are not comprehensive in the same way a newspaper was.  I often watch the NBC Nightly News for a bit of breadth..... but although this broadcast has some breadth, it is also very shallow in depth.  
  • The above two bullets were my diatribes about why I did not watch the "State of the Union" address.  I think Biden is doing a decent job, but he is just as much a slimy politician when speaking as are all the rest. 
  • PCS = 7.... which is less intensive than the eights I have been experiencing of late.   It is kind of strange to feel the 7 level as almost..... "comfortable".  It is still a lot of thinking about my pipes, and a whole helluva lot of desire for my pipes.  But, maybe I am just getting jaded to a degree and am beginning to simply accept this is how it will likely always be?  
  • I did another 11.6 miles (~19km) this morning.  It feels damn good to be AHEAD of my 50 mile target this week... it makes each run feel smoother and less stressful.  It also means if I keep it up, I am going to have a pretty damn easy FRIDAY run as well! 
  • My wife's compliance with her goals to control and combat her diabetes went down the drain again yesterday, and I have been feeling a bit of frustration with that.  Obviously, it is her decision.  But, it ramps up my stress and worry.  And, I also feel a bit annoyed at the number of changes, adaptations, and what-not we go through so she CAN do her new plan for getting her numbers better.... but then she throws it away a week or two later.  

Lunch is over.

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

With the absolute s-storm of GOP crapola, I find it difficult to actually crap on the [relative] good guys. I see no comparison between the two groups. I really wish we would all stop doing that. They are not nearly the same IMHO.

Wednesday, 08 February, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

I agree with your politics, PT and think Biden is doing a decent to excellent job in MOST areas. I'm like you though; I dislike hearing politicians speak. I couldn't listen or watch DJT at all. I though Obama was a great speaker though. I feel your frustration with your wife since my younger daughter appears to get on the right path and then blows it a few weeks later. :(

Wednesday, 08 February, 2023  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I think our local print paper is $1.25 now.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Wednesday, 08 February, 2023  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I know what you mean about all politicians. I'm sure there are some who are sincere but even they have to toe the party line sometimes. And getting real unbiased news is difficult.

Friday, 10 February, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home