The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, July 05, 2022

Traveling Man


So far, the travel has been good:

  • With my N95 "bubble" mask, along with my three-layer cloth mask over the top of that to help hold it more strongly in position, I felt pretty confident within the airport and on the airplane itself.  
  • Air travel is always exhausting, and this was no exception, but I do have to say that although I was rusty at it, it did go smoothly.  
  • When my wife and I arrived at Atlanta Airport, we took the MARTA (the name of the subway/public transport system) from the airport to midtown Atlanta where our hotel was.  
  • After we got things settled in the hotel, I left my wife to relax and traipsed the ~3/4 mile distance to the Convention Center where the meeting is being held.  As is my typical practice, I often do not stay at the Convention Center hotel where all the folks are "recommended" to stay.... because then it feels like 24-hour work the whole time.  Instead, I tend to stay away a bit from the conference site so that when I am done "science-ing" for the day, it feels also like a vacation as well.  I learned this technique/idea from the habits of my own mentor/advisor who did the same back in my doctoral study days.  It is a really good idea and has always worked well.  It is also often a bit cheaper than the "conference recommended hotel" often with more entertaining amenities.  
  • When I got to the convention center, I obtained my formal registration documents, badges, program booklets, etc.  And, then I went to the informal "meet-and-greet" that happens the evening before all the science actually begins.  
  • As I had feared, a LOT of the "old-timers" (my friends, who are all of a similar age to myself) did NOT attend this first in-person meeting since the start of Covid... but instead employed the "canary in the coal mine" strategy where they sent their student researchers to the meeting instead.  I had suspected this would be the case for several folks, as we scientists tend to be a somewhat cautious bunch.  Neither of my two pipe-smoking buddies attended, but I did meet several of their students.  There were a few "old-timers" who were there, which was nice, but while they are "friends/acquaintances" I did miss being able to see my closer friends who were not there.   However, one interesting friend/acquaintance was there and I ended up spending a fair amount of the meet-and-greet talking with him, Barry S.  

More tomorrow.  I have a huge number of things I want to write about.  However, I have to go and get to some talks now of research findings I really want to hear.  

However, let me conclude today with a bit of running information:  

  • I had fortunately completed my 55 miles (~89 km) for the week PRIOR to travel, so I did not need to run during the weekend, which helped a helluva lot during all the travel.  
  • On Monday, July 4th, the city was awash with all sorts of city festivities which involved the use of a helluva lot of temporary fencing all around the downtown to corral folks into specific areas to allow for a parade and other festivities associated with the 4th (fireworks, music performances, etc) to occur.  So, even though I would rather have ran outside.... I made the wise choice and ran on the treadmill at the hotel "fitness center" on Monday.  I ran 11 miles (~18 km).  Happily, I chose wisely and had the fitness center all to myself at the early morning time I ran.  
  • Today, now that the crowds were gone, and the downtown area was at a more typical early morning urban pace.... even though the temporary routing fencing was still up... I was able to run outside.  I ended up running from my hotel.... watching VERY CAREFULLY for upheavals in the sidewalk, until I reached Piedmont Park.  There I could begin to run more freely as they had smoother trails!  It was very enjoyable seeing all the sites.  I think I will be back here every morning for running to explore further.  In total, today, I ran 12.3 miles ( ~20 km).  
PipeTobacco

 

8 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

I hope, Professor, that during your trip you find time to explore a few tobacco shops, whether old favorites or new discoveries! Have fun!

Tuesday, 05 July, 2022  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

I did bring one of my pipes (and a lighter) with me in case that potential does occur.

Tuesday, 05 July, 2022  
Blogger Margaret said...

It sounds like you are an old hand at conferences and are making the best of this one!

Tuesday, 05 July, 2022  
Blogger Unknown said...

Professor, I don't know what your willpower looks like, but have you thought of establishing a firm boundary (at least for now) where you will allow yourself to enjoy a pipeful of tobacco when you are out of the state, or maybe when you are both out of the state and visiting a tobacconist? With a couple of firm boundaries like those set in your will and resolve, maybe you could allow yourself an indulgence on rare occasion? Or would doing so just reawaken old sensory paths and drive you nutty at home, reminded of just how much you miss having your pipes and tobaccos as nourishing parts of your ordinary daily life?

Tuesday, 05 July, 2022  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

I honestly do not know what my willpower is able to be either. I am not sure if it is “up to snuff” regarding the potential out-of-state sojourn you suggested and I had already been contemplating (but not sure if I will pursue).

Tuesday, 05 July, 2022  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Research conferences have always been informative and fun (academically AND otherwise). This first live one since Covid is a bit different in a variety of ways, but my “sailor’s legs” are seemingly still reasonably adept even in this new era.

Tuesday, 05 July, 2022  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Reading above, I would say that your willpower can never be questioned.

Tuesday, 05 July, 2022  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Staying away from the conference centre sounds a wise move. And I'm glad the flight went well.

Wednesday, 06 July, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home