The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Round


 I am wearing my silver, metal glasses today with the round lenses.  Some folks talk of them as being "John Lennon" glasses, but mine are a bit larger circles than the tiny "John Lennon" type.... I tend to think of them as my "Tevya" glasses:

I absolutely love the play "Fiddler on the Roof" and had a part in the performance of that play way back in high school.  Unfortunately I was not good enough (and didn't sing well enough) to play "Tevya", but I was cast in a much smaller role as "Yussel" the hatter.  Taking part in plays in high school was an extracurricular activity, not a class.  The director of our plays was both the teacher for band and the teacher for choir.  All of our plays were musicals.  Most of the kids who auditioned for and participated in the plays were either in band class (like me) or in choir class.  

I do have to admit that Musical Theater has always had a special place in my heart.   Of the very many plays I like and have seen, my top two favorites are "Fiddler on the Roof" and "Man of LaMancha".  I have to admit I was a little bit sad when I first learned my high school was performing "Man of LaMancha".... but it was two years after I had graduated.  It would have been a very fun play to participate in.  

* * * * *

  • Ran another 6.2 miles (10 km) today.  I am building back up and so far, so good!  The spot on my heel is still holding on, however.  So, I am still a bit frustrated about that.... but no pain.  
  • I am making a concerted effort to brush off the cobwebs and spruce up my tenor sax skills.  Even though I have been the long-standing bass clarinet player in our band (there are 1 or 2 others as well, depending on if they join a particular series),  there has been a depletion of players for the tenor sax.  I would be happy to step into that role as the parts are often very similar.... but the tenor sax often gets a few additional lines in a song that are even MORE fun than for bass clarinet.  So, if I work at polishing my abilities, I may be offered the chance to either switch (move permanently to tenor sax because of need) or perhaps even more fun "double" (play the tenor sax for a subset of songs where the benefit may be high) and the bass clarinet for others.  
  • Still not sure about this Thursday's Retiree's Cigar Group, but I am hoping I can go.
  • Yes, pipes and pipe tobaccos HAVE been on my mind.  But, what more can I say about them that I have not already said?  They are beautiful, nearly "magical" tools that offer a delight that words somehow cannot adequately convey.  I still miss them every day.

PipeTobacco   


1 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

That would be excellent to combine tenor sax with bass. Those glasses plus the beard must make you look very learned, Professor!

Wednesday, 23 October, 2024  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home