The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, August 05, 2026

The Leave 3


I have a very kind, Internet friend, who I met, heck.... probably close to 15 -20 years ago (I think so, anyway).  We met on a discussion board about comics.  By comics, I mean the types of comic panels that used to be published in every newspaper, every day across the land.  Comics like... Peanuts, Gasoline Alley, For Better or Worse, The Far Side, Calvin and Hobbes, Luann..... and many, many others.  

I first joined this discussion board due to the suggestion from my secretary at the time, who also shared an interest in these newspaper comics, and also shared my disappointment at the rapid decline in newspapers..... and their publishing of these types of comics.  

The site was actually quite active and fun, and I quickly grew a list of perhaps 25 or so comics that I visited regularly and often commented upon as well (in addition to publishing these comics, each comic had its own discussion board).  I also had another 40 or so comics I would occasionally look at.  

Well, one of the fellows who was also on this comic board, was a regular and I began to notice and recognize his comments because he typically had very insightful and well thought out things to share.  

We ended up often commenting on the same comics and also often replied to comments each other had made as well.  I eventually also learned that he and I had some commonalities.... most notably...... a) a strong interest in music (he is by FAR the stronger musician, however), b) he and I are both Catholic, and both are deeply immersed in our Faith, and.... c) he also is fond of pipes and pipe tobaccos!  

Through a series of events, this fellow, this Internet friend of mine.... did a very, very kind gesture.... he surprised me by mailing to me a small box... in which was a rather hefty pouch of pipe tobacco.  And, it was not just any old pipe tobacco, but it was from the McClellands Tobacco Company, which is a (now defunct) small batch, "artisan" pipe tobacco company.  I had never had any pipe tobacco from that company, and this gift was extremely kind of him, and very pleasant.  

The pipe tobacco itself was designated as "M 58" which I believe meant "Mixture 58".  It was an aromatic pipe tobacco.  Back when I had first tried it, I was pleasantly surprised as it was unlike other pipe tobaccos I had experienced.  I could see that it had Cavendish tobacco and what I presume is some mild form of burley.  But the flavoring was what was rather unique to me.  It had a "fruit" flavoring, and I am not 100% sure of my accuracy, but to me it reminded me of peach schnapps.  That was the "room note" anyhow.  And, the nice thing that I remember about it was that the "peach" flavoring was not heavy handed, nor artificially "peachy" but did remind me of actual peaches.  

Well.... over time, after some proper air drying (as is commonly needed with many aromatics), I ended up consuming roughly 1/2 of the pipe tobacco he had sent.  But, as I have done several times over the years, when I find a rather unique pipe tobacco that I might not easily find again, I store some in a lidded, glass pint jar and I have these jars in a few drawers in my desk in my den/office.  I had taped the "M 58" label to the jar as well.  

So, about two weeks before my trip to Nevada, I happened to be looking around in my desk, trying to find something or other and I stumbled across the pint jar with the "M 58" in it, and it brought back a lot of memories.  I unscrewed the lid so I could once again smell its very fragrant aroma.  And, it got me to thinking..... as you all know, I keep trying to think of potential ways to be able to "safely" indulge in a pipe every once in a while, without garnering the very real risk of my falling "off the wagon" which I think is a BIG risk for me.  But, I suddenly had the thought.... perhaps I could have a pipe while I was out in Nevada, if I could find some time, and a pleasant enough location to enjoy it?  So, well before my dog showed any of her illness symptoms... I had packed away in my backpack with a book, reading glasses, a single change of clothes, toothbrush etc. (to carry on the plane).... also a pipe and the equivalent of about a bowlful of the M 58 in a baggie.  I was hoping to see if I could find a nice spot while in Nevada to relive the experience of that McClelland blend.  

* * * * *

Just in case it was not clear from yesterday's post... very fortunately my beloved dog DID improve after about 3 or so days on the medication, and our kids reported that she had normal poops for the remainder of our time away.  And, when we did finally return home..... she was her frisky (for a 14 year old pup) self and greeted us very happily!

PipeTobacco

 

2 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

I was hoping to see if I could find a nice spot while in Nevada to relive the experience of that McClelland blend.

So you chose to end your post with a "cliffhanger," eh, Professor? I'll be hoping to learn in an upcoming post that you were able to find a nice spot to enjoy your friend's old gift! Then again, with McClelland having shut down a few years ago, enjoying that irreplaceable M58 might also bring with it a touch of sadness at what has been lost, as you won't be able to relive the experience once your jar of M58 is empty.

Wednesday, 05 August, 2026  
Blogger Margaret said...

What a lovely way to meet a kindred spirit and a generous gesture from him. I hope you did enjoy a pipe in Nevada. Special occasion type treat! I'm glad that your dog is back to normal.

Wednesday, 05 August, 2026  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home