The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, April 11, 2005

.
Stupid Parents (of College Adults)

Today's post is going to be simply a rant. I am furious at the way some parents (of college aged (adult)) students can be. Some are idiotic, holier-than-though, pompass-jackass people who think that they can push and shove and bowl their way through any situation to get what they "think" (I use that term very, very loosely) their son/daughter deserves. Well, I can tell you that I'll be damned if I am going to cow-tow to any such bullsh*t from any parent of an adult colege aged student.

First.... PARENTS SHOULD NOT INTERFERE WITH A COLLEGE LEVEL STUDENT'S ACTIVITY... other than the parent talking to the STUDENT about what he/she is doing. There is no way in hell that any parent should call any instructor/professor/faculty member UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, much less to bitch at them.

People (especially PARENTS of college aged adults) who think that they are so damn special that the world should revolve around them and every one else should do their bidding need to be taken down a peg or two.

My particular instance:

As my role in the faculty, I often will advise students about courses they should take in their science degree, epsecially those students who are pursuing post graduate education (Ph.D. studies, medical school, dental school, etc). Mostly I do this because I have a better grasp of what students need to get into their post-graduate education in science than do the university advisors. In this role, I occasionally interact with parents of PROSPECTIVE students as well. This is fine and good, but some parents are so damn cocky and deluded that they think their little "angel" is the next Charles Salk, or the next Louis Pasteur.... and they think their child should be handed everything on a platter.

Well, today, this utter yahoo of a parent writes me a scathing letter because his little precious daughter did not get the classes she wanted because they filled up prior to her registering for them. Ah-ha, I say, as I write back to him, the summer course offerings for these two courses are still open and there are seats available. No, the idiot replies, my daughter does not want to take classes this summer, she wants them in the fall. My mind spins.... WE NEVER OFFER THESE CLASSES IN THE FALL... only in the Winter and in the Summer... it has been that way for 25 years at this University and is based upon course needs, budget, I explain this as calmly as I can to the imbicile, but he then pulls his holier-than-though attitude and states "my daughter did her part, so you at the University should do its part and make those classes for her". I said, yes, sir, we do just that... she can register for them this Summer or in the Winter of next year. NO! he replies, "I want it in the Fall!".

I will leave to the imagination what I said under my breath. I had to quit writing to this fellow because he is rude, obnoxious, and condescending and there is no way in hell that I need that in my role... and no one needs that in any way. The problem is the assh*le will likely cause a stink in the administration and then they (the fools they are) will make grief for our department.

I need a drink (or several) and a pound of pipe tobacco!

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home