The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

.
A Lot of Obnoxious B*llsh*t



A tremendous load of b*llsh*t has been going on at work and it has been very challenging for me to deal with emotionally. I have been working at adjusting my priorities in life so as to not let all this utter nonsense get to me.

One of the things that is so difficult for me is that I have the type of personality that really wants to find compromise when situations arise where there are two or more very opposed issues. Also, my personality is such that I also try to encourage tolerance and to be a tolerant person.

Well, in the last few weeks, I have been running head-long into a whole bunch of truly idiotic, intolerant, nasty, uncompromising people. And, I have felt almost smothered by their obstinate and simply vulgar behavior.

The difficulty however, is actually with ME. I have always had a stubborn, damn-dog determination to keep trying to find ways to FIX situations like these. In reality, I have been pretty successful BECAUSE of this stubborn, damn-dog determination most of my life. However, and this has been the extremely difficult thing for me to learn.... I *DO NOT* have to try to "fix" everything in situations like these. The physical and emotional toll this b*llsh*t puts on me us unhealthy, and I DO NOT need to let it control my life.

So, what I have been doing, especially since this past weekend is to work out a plan in my mind to disengage myself from this particular b*llsh*t issue AND... here is the even better part.... to disengage myself from all sorts of more minor b*llsh*t issues as well.

It will not be a swift task, unfortunately, because many of these issues are related to aspects of work I have committed myself to for years. But, in my strategy, I am getting rid of some of this crap each and every day, and I believe I should be able to disentangle myself from virtually all of this evil nonsense by perhaps the middle of March.

If my plan goes as I am envisioning it, I believe it will do me a whole helluva lot of good emotionally and physically. I think I will be able to appreciate and love my family a lot more. I think I will be able to even enjoy and love work again, and I believe I will feel unencumbered in ways I have not felt in at least 4 years.

This is the time of year in which I normally go to deer camp. Unfortunately, the dates for the deer hunt are not the best this year. November 15, 16, & 17 traditionally are the biggest hunting days of the year and therefore are the times when you have the best crowds for raucous drinking, smoking, eating, and poker playing at the cabins. With those dates occurring EXACTLY mid-week this year, it is challenging for me to get there on those dates with my teaching schedule. Weekend or close to weekend dates for those dates are quite frequent, and are much easier for me to work with.

What I am going to do though, is talk with as many of the gang I can get a hold of in the next few days and see if many of them are planning to stick around deer camp THROUGH the weekend after the 17th. If they are, I WILL go up there to join the revelry! If, however, as may be the case, they are heading out before the weekend, I may not go.

PipeTobacco

11 Comments:

Blogger BBC said...

You work in a university, Dilbert Central, there's more fucking bullshit in those places than you can shake a stick at anymore.

Try not to get involved in a lot of it, you can't change any of it, just do your fucking job and go home.

It's just me but I wouldn't give a shit, I'd go to deer camp anyway. "Hey boss, I'm going fishing tomorrow." "You can't go fishing tomorrow, you have to finish rebuilding that transmission." "It'll still be there when I get back, I'll finish it then."

"I'll fire you and hire another mechanic." "I don't give a fuck, I'm the best automatic transmission man in a three county area and will have a new job the next day while that transmission is sitting there waiting for you to find someone to put it back together."

I've always been an independent fucker. :-)

Thursday, 10 November, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

A suggestion, never mind the deer hunting, that's just a bunch of fucking around anyway. Get some of the boys together for a weekend camping trip and set up some targets and have shooting contests.

You know, like the old get together's the mountain men did.

I suppose the idiot will be around to put in her two bits worth also.

Thursday, 10 November, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

Out of curiosity I decided to try some brandy, got a fifth of STOCK '84, it's okay, smooth enough straight and the price is right.

Friday, 11 November, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

Hey, where is the idiot?

Friday, 11 November, 2011  
Blogger austere said...

I'm glad for the deer. Sorry!

Sounds like a terrible situation at work. How is the labwork going on, your grant projects?

off topic, I've been reading Norman Dodige's book Neuroplasticity-- fascinating!

Saturday, 12 November, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

At the library I bought two books about Native Americans of the past, they should have had a better homeland security setup to keep assholes like us out of their country. Oh well, there’s more assholes coming, keep those guns clean and loaded.

Saturday, 12 November, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too found Norman Dodige's book to be an great read. Right now I am reading Bruce Lipton's The Wisdom of Your Cells.

Saturday, 12 November, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

Maybe some day her cells will find some wisdom and she'll lighten up and get herself screwed.

Sunday, 13 November, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

I think that brandy is a friend of mine.

Sunday, 13 November, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

THIS IS INTERESTING.

Sunday, 20 November, 2011  
Blogger austere said...

anonymous, next on my list is *The Tell Tale Brain*.. seem to be on a brain trip. Can't read these books v fast, seem to have lost the knack.
thanks, but.

Tuesday, 22 November, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home