The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Saturday Readings



One of the reading I will hear at mass this afternoon is as follows:

"For this command that I enjoin on you today
is not too mysterious and remote for you.
It is not up in the sky, that you should say,
‘Who will go up in the sky to get it for us
and tell us of it, that we may carry it out?’
Nor is it across the sea, that you should say,
‘Who will cross the sea to get it for us
and tell us of it, that we may carry it out?’
No, it is something very near to you,
already in your mouths and in your hearts;
you have only to carry it out.”


---from Deuterotomy, Chapter 30

When I first read this, it reminded me of the NIKE slogan "Just Do It!"  But, while that may be a realistic way of thinking about it, it is a  bit too simple for my tastes.  In my mind, I am thinking that it is MY RESPONSIBILITY in my life to conduct myself in the way that I want to.  It is MY CHOICE to try to be happy, as healthy as possible, vibrant and kind to those I interact with.  It is my purpose.  I am not to be slovenly.  I am not to be a sloth.  I am not to be moody.  I am not to be lethargic. 

It is valuable for me to keep this in mind and at the front of my thoughts. 

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home