The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Tuesday

Yesterday, while rummaging around in the basement, I looked in a storage area for some picture frames and noticed my alto clarinet case.  I had forgotten about it as I had purchased it long ago as another project instrument as it is not one I regularly play as most bands or groups do not need this instrument as it is I in a different key range from most other clarinets (Eb, instead of the typical Bb for most clarinets).  The Eb parts most groups have are typically covered by alto saxophones.....  if the alto clarinet is used, folks are usually given alto saxophone parts to play anyway.  

But, it made me curious, as I had not looked at it in a long time.  It does need some sprucing up to be sure as it had a rough life prior to my acquiring it.  A lot of the metal keyword was green due to not having been stored well (prior to my purchase) and it does need new pads as well.  The body is scuffed and shoddy.  And, the mouthpiece is a volcanic rubber that is literally brown from age and neglect instead of black as it should be.  These are all things I can fix, as I have done so on many instruments in the past, however.  But, I decided to pull the beast out of the case, and I soaked the lone reed and the mouthpiece in a shot glass of whisky for 15 minutes to cleanse them (and then drank the shot to cleanse my innards afterwards ;)  ).  I then proceeded to put the mouthpiece on the body of the instrument and tried playing it.  Even with its current deficits, the tone was rich, deep and beautiful!   I think I want to rejuvenate this beast now, and figure out some fun way to use it.  I am pretty confident I can bring it back to its former glory.   It is roughly from the late 1940s or early 1950s.   It should be a fun, small project!  It will be quicker and easier than the tenor saxophone I am working on.   I always find clarinets easier, I guess, as I have worked on more of them over the years and know them better.  

It was a nice find.  

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

That sounds like a cool project. Enjoy!

Tuesday, 15 August, 2017  
Blogger Gorilla Bananas said...

Bravo Professor! It's nice to know you enjoy sucking things other than a pipe!

Tuesday, 15 August, 2017  
Blogger Forsythia said...

I never really noticed the clarinet until our grandson began to play. Then I fell i love with it and bought several CDs showcasing that instrument. Alas, the grandson --who showed early promise on the clarinet--switched to the guitar. I'm not quite as crazy about the music he plays now. :-)

Tuesday, 15 August, 2017  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home