The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Mass & Food

 


 

While in Atlanta, my wife and I ended up getting to attend Mass on Sunday at a beautiful, old cathedral in the heart of the city.  We attended 8:00 am Mass at the Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.  It was a beautiful, old, ornate church, and Mass was very nice.  

The Cathedral had Mass being said by a Jesuit priest.  And, while I like and appreciate Jesuit thoughts and philosophies a great deal, I must say, I believe I am much more innately aligned with Capuchin philosophy. I still listened to daily Mass and Sunday mass via the Capuchins as well as attending the Cathedral.  

* * * * *

There were several fun food adventures while we were in Atlanta.  Some of the most memorable include:

  • We went to a wonderful Vietnamese restaurant called Anh's Kitchen.  I was able to have an incredibly wonderful vegetarian Pho!  It was wonderfully enormous in size too.   The flavors were rich, hearty, and beautifully robust.  My wife had a shrimp/pork stir fry of some sort. 
  • We went to the classic southern cuisine restaurant, Mary Mac's Tea Room.   It is always an amazing treat to go to Mary Macs.  Some of the highlights I had included the tomato pie, their beyond delicious black-eyed peas, and their peach cobbler.  Their mint juleps are pretty damn good as well.  :)
  • Kwan's Deli & Korean Kitchen was also a wonderful find!  I had a really well made vegetarian Bimbimbap there.  
  • We also visited a wonderful establishment specializing in Mexican street food called Rreal Tacos (Rreal is not a typo).  The richness and depth of flavor of their tacos, the beautiful char on their mexican street corn, and a new first for me, a "Torta" which is a bread-based Mexican sandwhich, were highlights for me.  

Desserts were also fun:

  • The Yard, Milkshake Bar where nearly any sort of ice cream concoction can be had.  
  • Cathy's Gourmet Ice Cream Sandwiches which had (besides amazing carrot cake ice cream) the best molasses and sugar cookies I have ever  tasted (they were used to make the ice cream sandwich)! 
  • Sweet Hut Bakery & Cafe which specializes in cakes, cupcakes, rolls, pastries all with a somewhat East Asian influence.  We had a beautiful taro Swiss roll slice, a matcha Swiss roll slice, and a Japanese-style cheesecake that were especially good.   

Other food visits were more mundane (meals/snacks at the scientific meeting, or a quick bagel for breakfast. 
 

PipeTobacco

 

2 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Oh my word, you are making me hungry. Sounds wonderful.

Tuesday, 12 July, 2022  
Blogger Margaret said...

I love exploring cities through food. Carrot cake ice cream would be fabulous! I would also adore hummingbird ice cream.

Tuesday, 12 July, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home