The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, August 09, 2022

Code Switching


 

It came to my attention perhaps a few years ago, that neuroscience term I use in my classes has been usurped into common, general society vernacular.  It is the term, "code switching".   And, unfortunately, the common, everyday usage of this term has its meaning slanted to be rather pejorative and derogatory in definition. 

In the scientific, neuroscience, linguistic formal definition, "code switching" occurs when a speaker alternates between two or more languages or dialects in the context of conversation with others. A classic example is seen between folks who know both German and English.  The syntax and order of word structure is different between the two languages, and to successfully communicate in German, one type of word order is needed, whereas in English a considerably different word order is needed.  In bilingual folks, sometimes their ability to fully code-switch between these two languages is incomplete and you could get a native German speaker potentially saying something such as:

"Mister Professor Doctor Schwartz to us will today speak."

Whereas, if the person were to have had fully successful code switching, the person would have said:

"Dr. Schwartz will speak with us today."

In the first phrase we see typical German "code" used in an English sentence.  The three descriptors of the person (Schwartz) is normally stated when speaking in German, and the verb (speak) appears at the end of the sentence.  In the second phrase, I have arranged and written the same sentence using typical "English" code. Note, only the "highest" of the three descriptors is used in identifying the person, and the verb is in a central position.  

Code switching is valuable in terms of clarity of communication.    

However, this term of "code switching" has now reached its way into non-scientific, day-to-day speech as well.  It has become a popular term used when describing the changes in manner of speaking that some people of African American descent do when they choose to alternate between "Standard American English" (SAE) and "African American Vernacular English (AAVE)" which had also been referred to as "Ebonics" a few decades ago.   

In the changes people make when alternating between SAE and AAVE, the term "code switching" has been applied, but unfortunately it has taken on a negative connotation, which I think is quite unfortunate, and I wish "code switching" was not being weighted down with this negative connotation.  Some folks feel that "code-switching" (as used in everyday vernacular) has earned a bad reputation because it has been (IMO) wrongly identified as the reason for people losing their identities or accommodating prejudices towards their social class, ethnicity, or religion.  However, I tend to see it differently.

In my opinion, the negative connotations applied to "code switching" in discussions about people switching between SAE and AAVE are primarily used in a socio-political fashion... in an effort to draw attention to particular sociopolitical struggles that people of African American origin experience.  While the socioeconomic and other political struggles that people of African American origin ARE tremendously important and need to be discussed and addressed, I think that the suggestion that "code switching" is a negative thing for people of African American origin to do..... is short sighted and not in anybody's best interest.  

AAVE is a form of dialectic English.... spoken/written English in a particular form which is specific to a region or social group. There are MANY different dialects used in the United States:

1. AAVE

2. Southern

3. Minnesotan

4. Cajun/Creole

5. Non-standard "Blue-Collar" Vernacular

There have been a variety of these dialectic English forms that also have ebbed and flowed in terms of use and popularity over time.  Two examples include:

1.  "Hippie" dialect of the 1960s and early 1970s

2.  "Valley Girl" dialect of the 1980s.  

In all of the above examples, people of that region or social group can have and do claim ownership of their particular dialect.  However, in each of the above, when needed for more generalizable understanding outside of their region or social group, folks in each of the above will  be able to "code switch" to a manner of speech that is less dialectic and more SAE.  

And, to me, this is a GOOD thing!  In my manner of thinking, dialects represent rich, varied, nuanced.... localized evolution of language.  But in a similar vein, the ability and desire to "code switch" to a form of communication closer to SAE is also tremendously important for more universal communication, and for greater inclusivity.  

When I grew up, I happened to be raised in a largely blue collar, lower socio-economic neighborhood.  And, there was a definite "blue-collar" ethos in the manner of speech most folks used in my region.  However, my own parents were strong adherents to SAE.  So, I, like a lot of folks, would "code switch" between the "proper English" (SAE) that I would speak at home and at school with teachers, with the "blue-collar" vernacular that I was awash in when I would be around friends, their parents, and also when I was around much of my own extended family.  Code switching, IMO, is natural and normal to do.  

* * * * * 

I ran 15 miles (~24 km) this morning.  It was much cooler, and was quite pleasant. My feet hit the trail at 5:15 am.  

* * * * *

My one kid's vehicle issues seem to be ok now, for at least this week.  

* * * * **

PCS = 7 - It ratcheted up a bit.  I have been feeling a bit of "frustration" I guess I could say about my pipes and pipe tobaccos.  When I was cleaning a bit of one of my offices at the U this morning, I was getting aggravated at the clutter.  Part of me wants to just dump everything in my office into the garbage and have a pristine, empty office.  That, of course, is nonsense, as I need the many textbooks, books, files, and computer-gizmo things.  All I really need to do is to sort through the piles of old papers and exams and other detritus in piles scattered about since I last did this in March. But, what got to me, is that I had a brief thought that I should also just "dump" my pipe, pipe racks, and pipe tobacco humidor into the trash as well to help declutter.  Yet, within a few moments of CONTEMPLATING that wretched idea, I felt sad.  It is a weird "nomadic" existence in some ways.... I am a pipe smoker.... but I am not smoking my pipes.  I am in this ambiguous, gray area.  Even though I am NOT in any serious manner thinking about REALLY tossing my pipes, pipe rack, or pipe tobaccos in this office.... just the thought of it, and the feelings of ambiguity I felt notched me up to the "7" level from frustration.  

PipeTobacco   

4 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Language is fascinating to me! However, in German the verb (unless it's a question) is always in second position. What throws the verb to the end is a conjunction like dass ie Ich denke dass du sehr krank bist.
I too can switch my codes when it's appropriate thus helping me fit better into various groups.

Tuesday, 09 August, 2022  
Blogger Margaret said...

I should have specified conjugated verb. Your sentence would have that in second position but the infinitive last. Heute werde Herr Doktor S. mit uns sprechen.

Tuesday, 09 August, 2022  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Ja… du hast Recht. Meine eigenen Deutsch se sind etwas eingerostet. 😀

Tuesday, 09 August, 2022  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I had never heard this term used before. I suppose in some way, we all modify the level of English that we use according to the circumstances. We’ll write somewhat differently than we talk, and we’ll both write and talk differently depending on the situation. I’ll write a research paper differently than a blog, for example. I understand that’s not exactly what you're writing about, but I am just thinking tangentially now.

Wednesday, 10 August, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home