The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, August 02, 2022

A Bit Irritated & Out of Sorts


 

As the title suggests, I am feeling a bit irritated and out of sorts today.  Nothing is wrong, per se, I believe my feelings are more due to the less "planned" aspects of the day.  Instead of having had a set of goals and accomplishments to work towards during the day, like I typically like to try to have, today has been a veritable mish-mash of having lots of plans change at the last minute, having to shuffle things around a lot, and getting pulled out of planned activities by the needs of other.  

Again, nothing is "wrong".... I just feel quite out of sorts because most work and home related tasks are being jumbled and jostled in all different ways..... and the brunt of the jostling is bruising my psyche. 

* * * * *

I ran 15.5 miles (~25 km) this morning, starting at 5:30am, which is a better time for me to begin than the later start I had yesterday.   I still should work for an earlier start.  Soon, I will NEED to have an earlier start in order to get the run accomplished ahead of my Fall class' start times at the U.

* * * * *

I was heading to the U around 9:30 this morning, when my wife calls and after some discussion, I turn around and come home to work on the computer in my den instead.  This was due to vehicle needs of others that had to be accommodated.  Turning around when almost at the U did not send my mind to a peaceful place, but I worked to roll with the punches and was doing "ok" by the time I returned.  

* * * * *

PCS - 8... not unexpectedly, with all the moving around of schedules and my feelings of disjointedness in regards to what to do today and when, it ratcheted up my PCS score.  I attribute this to the fact that I had always found my pipes and pipe tobaccos to be a profoundly helpful pastime for me to quell and quiet feelings of stress.  More than once this morning, as all manner of plans transmogrified to new times and as I mentally adjusted ideas of what to do and when..... I would absent-mindedly reach towards my shirt pocket in a fruitless attempt to grab the pipe I had so long always carried in a shirt pocket or sport coat pocket.  That this nearly innate response, which feels both Pavlovian and Skinnerian in effect, surprised me after more than four full years being away from the avocation.

* * * * *

I am going to prepare a dish I concocted perhaps 20 or so years ago, tonight for dinner.  It is a dish I have called "Mexican Christmas Beans" for all this time, and it has been a family staple/favorite.  It is a casserole that is actually a mixture of Lima beans and kidney beans that are baked in a sauce of tomatoes, cheeses, salsa, and various stereotypical "Mexican" spices.  It is baked until the liquids and cheeses collectively form a thick and creamy sauce around the beans.  I serve it with spiced cornbread, and then for me at least, I also have mandatory vegetables and a salad that (as usual) is quite hefty.... bigger than my head.  

* * * * *

Today is garbage pick-up day.  I felt a slight twinge of the passage of time, as I had to put to the curb our "secondary" television.  We only have two televisions in our home, and one is our primary, garnering ~90% of our admittedly limited viewing (we perhaps average about 1 hour of television a day, sometimes an hour-and-a-half).  The second television is our "secondary" one and up until recently, it was an old, relatively small, cathode-ray-tube (CRT) television (perhaps ~19 inch?) that we had for probably at least ~25+ years.  Well, when my wife experienced Covid-19, she was isolated in the upstairs room where we had this television. Unfortunately, during her quarantine, it "gave up the ghost" and stopped functioning.  To help her in her quarantine, I immediately ran to our local Best Buy and bought a smallish sized "Smart TV" that was able to fit in the furniture cabinet where the CRT television had resided for decades, which I did install, fully masked, in the quarantine room after I returned home.  But, as with most things, I did not immediately discard the CRT television, but instead did my "due diligence" in carting the thing into the basement, and then opening up the beast to inspect its innards and to see if there was any way I could potentially repair the beast so that I could extend its service life.  Unfortunately, nothing I could figure out was able to fix the beast, and last week, I literally "threw in the towel", and decided to put it to the curb this week with the other refuse. So with a slight tinge of guilt at not being able to figure out how to repair it, and a little bit of regret at the end of our family's CRT era, I took it to the curb this morning.

PipeTobacco    

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Professor, please don't lose sight of the fact that you have had some productive accomplishments today, despite -- or even because of -- the morning disruption that found you working at home. Your running the equivalent of three 5K races is an accomplishment, even if running more than a half-marathon in a day is now routine to you. Give yourself LOTS of credit for that!

Also, in a world that is at once a throwaway culture yet a repository of clutter, you tried to fix the old TV before responsibly parting with it. That's an accomplishment or two.

As for your Pavlovian reaction, I recall that you do occasionally carry a pipe in one of your pockets for precisely that stress-abatement purpose. Maybe by the time you read this you'll already have picked one out to serve that purpose for the day. I'm surprised that your morning response surprised you; it's a response that I hope you can celebrate!

Tuesday, 02 August, 2022  
Blogger Margaret said...

I admire your running and your ability to juggle others' needs and your own responsibilities. I also give you high marks for trying to fix the TV in our throw away culture; my John always pulls appliances apart to try to figure out what's wrong. If unfixable, he takes out the parts that might be usable. That dinner sounds amazing. I love beans, cheese, salsa and cornbread. And salad!

Tuesday, 02 August, 2022  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You have reminded me that today is Garbage Day here, so I should attend to that soon.

We had a CRT in the bedroom for about 15 years and probably played it for 10 minutes once. A couple of years ago, we decided that it had to go. IIRC it was taken to a proper waste disposal, but I am not sure what they cold have done that would have been different than curb side removal.

Wednesday, 03 August, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home