The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Vegan Carnitas?

 


 

I received an invitation "requesting" my attendance at a U function a bit ago.  It is a dinner that is given for undergraduate students who have completed their work in the Honors College and are set to graduate at the end of this semester.  Admittance to the Honors College is quite a feat, and completing all the additional scholastic, research, and service components to receive the special designation of an Honors College graduate are significant.  So, these are damn good students. The number of students in the Honors College is quite small at the U, perhaps somewhere in the neighborhood of 35-40... those that ARE selected ARE exceptional.  

The dinner is for these students and their parents (or significant other(s)) so they can celebrate.  And, it is also often a time for the parents (or significant other(s)) to meet the professor who guided the student through their research.  Attending as a professor is somewhat like being a caged, zoo specimen, on display for the general public (parents, or significant other(s)) actually DO sometimes gawk at a bit. Over the years, I have had parents (usually Dads) often jokingly ask if I was "the mad scientist" who guided his child... or if I could do "this-or-that" sort of outlandish scientific thing they had recently heard or read about somewhere.  

Over the years, I have had a number of these undergraduate HC students and they mix well with my main research students after I help them get up to snuff.  This year, I have TWO undergraduate Honors College students who are set to graduate this May.   So, I will need to attend.  

But, what was interesting about the invitation was..... besides responding that I will attend.... I have to choose the dinner option I would like.  Currently at U functions, there is usually:

1.  A "traditional" meat and potatoes sort of option.

2.  A "typical" vegetarian option.

3.  (Relatively new to campus) A "gluten free" option

4.  (Again, also relatively new to campus) A fully vegan option.

I usually select whichever option seems the most "odd" or most "exotic" of whatever the options are.  I am what could be classified as an "interestivore".... if I see interesting food of any ilk, I will eat it.  

In this menu listing I received, options 1 & 2 are quite MUNDANE and BLAND this year, and option 3, while interesting (it is a cauliflower "steak" covered in Alfredo sauce and comes with a variety of sides), I do not really feel in the mood for Alfredo at this time of the year.  To me, it feels more of a "deep winter" flavor.... and I am damn tired of winter.  But, option 4 is "vegan carnitas" which intrigues me.  Carnitas are usually sort of like a pulled-pork dish, often eaten on tortillas like would be a soft-shell taco.  I selected 4, just because it seems the most interesting, and I look forward to seeing how this is "pulled" off in a vegan way in a few weeks when the event occurs.  

* * *

  • Ran 11 miles this morning (~18 km)
  • My new hoof covers still feel odd and I am nervous about having a trip or fall while on the track.
  • For the last several weeks I have been drinking my iced coffee spiked with a shot glass's worth of sugar free hazelnut syrup.  I have always loved hazelnuts (aka filberts).  Hazelnut syrup is not quite really "hazelnut flavored" but is damn good in its own way
  • PCS = 8.5.  At this level, I do easily drift off into memories of especially beautiful bowls of pipe tobacco I have had in the past.  Today.... I can attest that I did this numerous times. 
PipeTobacco 

3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

That's a high pipe longing number. Perhaps posting about it has made the craving worse? I would pick the vegan option too although carne means meat so I wonder if they'll use fake meat or some kind of tofu. (can't think of the name of the hard kind that my daughter uses) I would love the cauliflower but in a cheddar cheese sauce and tend not to consume veggies in the cabbage family in public. Much as I love them, they don't love me back!

Wednesday, 29 March, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

It's called tempeh!

Wednesday, 29 March, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Good of you to attend. I wouldn’t look forward to it.

Thursday, 30 March, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home