The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, March 01, 2023

Hmmm.... Nice, But...


 

Yesterday, late into the afternoon, I received an e-mail that was both pleasant and yet also adds work to my already busy plate.  I received an e-mail that told me that I was a finalist in the major research award that is given at the U.  Apparently some cadre of folks at the U nominated me, and a preliminary perusal of my research by the awards committee suggested to them that I was to be one of these "finalists" which means I am in the finalist group of three that this committee pares down to from all the folks who had received some minimal number of nominations.  The last time I heard about how this secret committee works, they apparently would do this preliminary perusal for anyone who received at least five nominations.  Being a finalist (the group of three folks who are finalists) means I would have roughly a one-in-three chance of being chosen for the award (depending upon variances of U politics, of course).

So.... while this is pleasant news.... I am happy to be considered a finalist.  It does add work to my plate, because the committee has asked for an up-to-date vitae from the finalists, and it needs to be turned in by the end of the day, Thursday (today is Wednesday).  Unfortunately, I am not always that "up-to-date" on keeping my vitae polished and ready to go.  At this stage of my career, the need to provide a vitae for anything is near zero.  I have been promoted to full professor long, long ago, and really now-a-days the only "vitae-like" document I ever need is an ABBREVIATED vitae that has to fit in its entirety on two pages.  These abbreviated vitae documents are what is requested in every grant application I have submitted in AT LEAST the last 15-20 years.  

But, the U Committee is requesting a FULL vitae.  That document will likely be at least 10 pages in length, but I have not updated the one I have in at least 10 years if not longer.... so I have a helluva lot of work ahead of me to get it up to snuff.

Part of me has been thinking about the various homilies I have been hearing since Ash Wednesday and the start of Lent. Most of the homilies I have been hearing speak of the sin of pride and the virtue of humility.  In some ways, I am wondering if I should simply decline to submit my vitae.... it would be in keeping with those ideas to a degree.  But, part of me also thinks it more likely would better represent my inherent laziness, because I do not want to update my vitae.

But, I guess I *should*  submit the damn vitae since it was asked for.  I will try to eek out some time (which is very limited) to update it and then submit it.

* * * * * 

  • I was able to hoof out 11.2 miles (~18km) this morning.  It feels nice that I am a *little bit* ahead in my progress to my weekly goal of 50+ miles (80 - 82 km).  And it is always VERY nice when I hoof the last step in the run for a day.  
  • PCS = 9..... A deep.... DEEP yearning for my pipes and pipe tobaccos today.  I must have been having some rather long and detailed...  and vivid pipe smoking dreams last night, for I can recall three different, very brief snippets of dreams from last night.  In each, I was smoking my pipe.... but in each snippet I was smoking a DIFFERENT pipe.  And, in each snippet, I was wearing different clothes.  Each snippet that I remember seemed only a few brief seconds long, but the different pipes and different clothes have me guess each snippet may have been a longer, much more elaborate dream.  And, the cravings are such right now, that if I give myself a few moments to let my mind wander and not stay on task..... I am quickly and deeply into a daydream of smoking a pipe..... and I can feel myself salivating like a Pavlovian dog (although I do not drip... as I keep my mouth tightly closed... remember, I have TMJ).  
  • I also wanted to thank Anvilcloud for the link to the photograph he provided.  I saw it just a few minutes before writing this blog entry today.  It is a very artistically pleasing photograph, and you are correct, the subject matter is indeed of interest.  I have a pipe of a similar shape/style as his.... but mine is stained a lighter color.... unless the darkness of the bowl is merely a result of subtleties  of the B & W nature of the photograph. 
  • My wife & I are set to go to our Parish’s first "Wednesday's of Lent" soup supper...  including a film and discussion group session afterwords. 
PipeTobacco 

2 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

That would take every ounce of energy and will I had to produce a 10 page (or even lesser) CV. Best of luck on completing it and congratulations on being a finalist!

Wednesday, 01 March, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

She posted another today. It was a single. I haven’t checked whether it is one from the duo yesterday or if it is a new photo. She’s an excellent photographer — light years beyond me.

Thursday, 02 March, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home