The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, July 15, 2024

Boosting Energy

 

Not sure what is up with the image insert in blogger, but it is malfunctioning.  Oh well.  I will try after I am done here. (Addendum..... the image inserter is still "wonky" so there will be no image today.)

I am trying to boost my energy, as I tend to be rather sloth-like a lot of the time.  I have done this by making a list of tasks I want to do, and working on the most arduous ones earliest, so that I get a "boost" of energy by feeling that the damn things are off my list.  

For today, as has become useful for the time being, I am going to talk in random bullet points:

The assassination attempt on Trump was horrible, and is incredibly sad.  Such violence should NEVER happen.

I do think, however, that with this turn of events, that Trump WILL win the election, and this makes me also sad, because I do not think he is good as a leader for the nation nor the world.  I think he will win, no matter WHO the Democrats now put forward.  I still think Biden has the BEST chance of winning over Trump, but I no longer think any Democrat will win.  I am still voting for Biden, however.  Trump made some pretty amazing photo imagery following the attempt that I think will rally all sorts of folks to him.  

Even though the attempted assassin was horribly wrong in what he did, I also feel significant sadness for his family.  He was so very young (20).  I cannot imagine what is happening now within his family.  From my understanding both parents were counselors of some sort.  

It was raining pretty heavily this morning and was beautifully cloudy, so I hoofed out 13.5 miles (~22km) this morning.  It feels good to be ahead for the week's goal.  

One of the days last week when I ran on the U indoor court, I stopped downstairs and saw a weight machine I had forgotten about.... it is a shoulder press, where you actually rest considerable weight upon your shoulders and then push up with the heels of your feet.  Even though I had used this machine in the past, I had forgotten about it since Covid happened.  When I saw it, however, it reminded me of how helpful it was in helping me to FORCE a deeper stretch of my achillies tendon and gastrocnemius muscles than I could do on my own.  I tried it that day, and it was REVOLUTIONARY in helping me feel more limber.

So, I made a plan to go back to the U gym three times a week to do some resistance training (weight lifting) AND stretching on the shoulder press.  I had done this BEFORE Covid, but never picked it back up when things shut down.  I am easing back into the mild lifting I had done before, with my old goal in tact of regaining the ability to do unassisted chin ups. I am far from it, after four-some years of not lifting, but it DID feel good, although I suspect I will be damn sore tomorrow.  But, that is how it goes.

I am very glad I did the quick visit to the Cigar Shoppe last week, and I am hopeful I will go for the "Retiree's Cigar Group" this Thursday.  I feel more (not totally,  but MORE) at ease about being able to fit in. 

I have done a great deal of rodent work this morning, and that has felt good as well.  

It actually feels good that this was the first time I was on the computer today as well.  I feel often that work computer time is a necessary evil..... it never feels as satisfying as teaching or doing actual hands-on research.  It is important, but it tends to leave me feeling "unaccomplished" inside.  

To have my blog entry be the first time I was on the computer today felt REALLY good.  I like the computer to communicate with so that worked out wonderfully!

PipeTobacco  


3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think you underestimate how tragic another Trump presidency will be.

Tuesday, 16 July, 2024  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Please, for the sake of all that is good and decent, let us not give up on defeating Trump in November! If they win, let's make damn sure they have to fight hard for it! It's hard to be optimistic in the face of everything happening in our politics, but we can't just give up and be resigned to a loss. There's still more than three months until the election--let's give it our all to safeguard decency and our democracy!

Tuesday, 16 July, 2024  
Blogger Margaret said...

I agree with you about the election and the thought of it makes me sick to my stomach. There is no one LESS sloth-like than you, PT!

Wednesday, 17 July, 2024  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home