The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Sounds and Symbols

 


Yesterday, we had the last public concert of our Fall Series.  We had many very enjoyable songs to play in this series.  One in particular that I will miss is one that was very much new to me.   Clare Grundman wrote this song in the 1950s based upon excerpts of several 1800s songs, but we specifically played Robert Longfield's band arrangement of  Grundman's song..... "Kentucky-1800".  The bass clarinet part was an especially fun and enjoyable one for me to play with a lot of sonorous and well-rounded sounds required that used the deepest part of my instrument's register.   

Next week we begin rehearsals for our Christmas Series.  Our first public performance will be about a week before Thanksgiving. I am hoping for some very fun parts to play.

I do appreciate all the thoughts and ideas about how I should just smoke my pipe at the Retiree's Cigar Group.....just because I would like to.  In many ways you may be correct, and perhaps your comments will help to nudge me in that direction.  Currently, though, I (perhaps stupidly) feel I am too much of a "newbie" to the group to "brazenly" do something outside of the group's routine.  I like feeling comfortable and like fitting in.  I know it may sound foolish.  But, at least at the moment, it seems like I would feel out-of-place in deviating from the group's routine.  I shall think about it more, however, but i am not sure the symbolism of deviating from the group's routine would be stressful.

PipeTobacco

1 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

How wonderful to have the outlet of music! I miss my violin and piano playing days.

Tuesday, 15 October, 2024  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home