The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, July 01, 2004

This is the end of the summer session here at the U and I am feeling restless as hell and jumpier than a junebug. I have only my final examination to give and I damn well do not want to sit there for three hours as the kids take their comprehensive final exam. Usually I am more than content to read or write or work on some other project while I proctor an exam, but today I am not sure if I can handle sitting for that length of time. I feel frenetic, I emote energy, I juxtapose jumpiness, I revel in restlessness. What to do?

Years ago, prior to the demonization of tobacco.... even now beloved pipe tobacco, I used to smoke my pipe while I proctored exams. Unfortunately that is no longer allowed. In the summer session such as this, I would sometimes even have a few drinks before proctoring the final so as to not feel so restless. However, drinking without a pipe is akin to a slice of pizza without crust (yes, I know some of the rabid "Atkin's Diet Groupies" will tell me there is such a thing as a crustless (doughless) pizza.... but I simply consider it utter insanity)..... meaning the drinking has very little value or meaning without the pipe, so unfortunately that is not an option.

What to do? Any suggestions?

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home