The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Today I have been thinking about novels again. I so desperately would like to be a published fiction author. I am going to spend time today thinking of a realistic plan to consistently put pen to paper and write AND FINISH a novel. Any comments would be appreciated.

Additionally, I thought I would list a few "trade" authors... the typical paperback writer authors that I have been enjoying lately. These are not "high brow" heavyweights.... I enjoy those writings too and will post on them later. These are the mass audience authors I have enjoyed lately:

Michael Connelly - his Harry Boesch novels are well crafted and engrossing in every way. My favorite thus far is "The Lone Wolf". His genre is in the detective/police/crime arena... but he takes a psychological outlook to his writing that is very pleasing.

Lawrence Sanders - his "Deadly Sins" series of books are wonderful, as have been "Caper" and "The Secrets of Lucy Bending". He also is a detective/police/crime novelist. I suggest avoiding the later "McNalley" series of books... they are very cheesy.

Regis McCafferty - another crime novelist (this time the good guy is a pipe smoker though!) who I am currently enjoying. His work, "Bugs" is interesting and rather unique. The author seems to put a great deal of his political opinions in his writings at the same time as he tells his story.

What other authors do you recommend? I am especially interested in trying to join the science fiction genre.... I need to find an author that is in science fiction that is NOT FANTASY oriented and is NOT PROCEDURALLY oriented. I would like the science fiction author I select to have a psychological/sociological bent.... akin to the works "Brave New World", "Fahrenheit 451", "1984" and "Walden Two". If you can offer suggestions on authors of that mindset, I would be most appreciative.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home