The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, July 18, 2005

.
Field Trip of the Mind

[It is my hope that if you have not done so, you may wish to read my seven part essay entitled "The Grand Day!" The seven essays are in reverse order. Comments on the essay or any of my writings are always greatly appreciated and welcome.]

I am reasonably content with my essay "The Grand Day!" Even though it has taken me longer than I had originally intended, it was an effort I had been meaning to put to paper in some form for many, many years. It may not have the graceful style I would like it to have yet, but it is a start and I will likely continue to tinker with it for some time to help smooth it a bit.

Being able to return to more free-form writing (unlike the purposeful essay) is a pleasant change. While I find the essay very meaningful to me, I did miss simply writing thoughts on anything as they flowed from my head to my fingertips. A few questions that have been in my mind lately that I would like to hear any comments on:

1. I have always tried to figure out a physiological reason for why people with hair that tends to naturally curl will have their hair curl more when it is humid rather than when it is dry? A case in point is my own hair/beard/moustache... I have a strong tendency for curl to arise in my hair follicles. In the winter (which is dry here because of the cold)my hair/beard/moustache can tend to look almost straight in texture. In the summer (which is very, very humid most years in my region), my hair/moustache/beard develops a distinct and more pronounced curl as the humidity increases.

2. Does anyone in the readership ever watch a show called "American Hotrod" on the Discovery Channel? I am a recent convert to the show... initially because it was something to watch late at night on Fridays (1am here) and because I enjoy old automobiles. But I have become more engrossed by watching the characters in the show go about their daily lives. It is fascinating.

Enough for now. I shall venture home for the evening.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home