The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

.
Reply and Update

I am going to be as brief as possible today as I am so beyond tired that I cannot stand it. My mother’s surgery was cancelled at the last minute due to fluid that developed in her left lung. This was drained and she seems to be breathing better but is in excruciating pain from the gall stones. She is scheduled to go to surgery on Wednesday.

* * * * *

Below, I am replying (as briefly as I can) to statements that my friend, Andrew, made to me on his blog 4th Avenue Blues. He has taken the intent of my message the wrong way. I hope to fix this situation for I do not mean to hurt his feelings for he is an excellent person:

Statement by Andrew: I found it sad though that you thought my car camping experiments were not living a “true, adult life.”

I did not say care camping experiments were not living a true adult life. I was asking you if your recent need to live in your car was an attempt to get away from the difficulties you were experiencing at home? When I did say you could live a “true, adult life” what I meant was that when you have your own financial control, your own living quarters, and have a place to call your safe place.... then you have the true, adult life.... a life in which you CAN explore the things you are suggesting (such as alternative ways of living, etc.) Hell, if you had those things in place, I’d be the first to say..... shit, go camping for a month or two. And I would even suggest, instead of going camping in the back of parking lots in your hometown, why not go camping in a new state, a new place you’d love to explore? I simply feared you were “camping” to avoid your father.

Additional Statement by Andrew: Also, due to the great amount of social anxiety that I experience, living in my car affords me a certain solitude and a feeling of safeness from encounters in which I do not wish to participate in. I am free from the prying eyes of my ever watchful family members.

To me, the above statement suggests you ARE very possibly car camping out of fear of your family (aka your father) instead of camping in the true, adult manner I described above.

Again, do not get me wrong sir..... I think trying alternative lifestyles, alternative method of living, camping, box car riding, Rving etc are ALL wonderful things to experience and wonderful things that I hope you do and will experience. And they can all be a part of a true, adult life. That is exactly what I wish and hope for you. The life in which you can chose to explore those alternatives, as an adult, not as someone who is avoiding others.

So, please do not be angry with me. I hope and wish the best for you. If you are working towards those goals, I am pleased. I will try to keep my mouth shut in the future.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home