The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

.
An Unexpected Deviation

My elderly mother now has been scheduled for a colonoscopy and an upper gastrointestinal scope for today. Unfortunately, the doctor could not tell us when this proceedure would be. He was not even able to tell us if it would occur in the morning or afternoon. So, to try to comfort my mother, who will be worried and scared all day about this proceedure, I will be at the hospital by 10 am (the earliest time I anticipate anything would occur).

I had planned to get up at 5 am today so I could rush to work by 5:30 am to spend a few precious hours there preparing for the upcoming semester. Unfortunately, my wife turned off my alarm clock for me. I honestly do not understand the mentality of her actions. The alarm clock is MY tool for getting ME out of bed and AWAKE ENOUGH so that I remember what my plan was for the day. She says she nudged me and I "woke up". Therefore, she thought all was fine. By "woke up" she means that I responded to her nudging. That does not mean I am awake and she should know that by now. After the many, many years of marriage, I still sometimes am shocked as hell by her seemingly limited understanding of me, her marriage partner. She should know damn well that I need to physically stand up (and better yet, walk) to my alarm clock and turn it off... especially when it is an atypical time setting... or I WILL FALL BACK ASLEEP. So, I did not awkake until I opened my eyes at 8:15am. There is no damn point in even attempting to go into work.

There is no malice involved on the part of my wife. I know that. But sometimes I just do not "get" how she does not pay attention to details like that and understand what I need on something simple like that after so many years of marriage.

I, on the other hand, remember most details of things I observe. I suppose in the same way, this frustrates her at times because she tells me I should not "keep all those things" in my head. I have learned over the years to not give too many details of observations and to "keep it simple" in terms of the amount of detail I give to her on recollections, for she finds it better that way.

I just wish she would not have turned the alarm clock off "for" me. It completely altered what little I had hoped to accomplish besides being at the hospital all day. I wish she would (she should have) known by now to NOT turn my alarm clock off. And it makes me feel sad.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home