The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

.
Insomnia & Cannon

The amount of things that have gone on today are beyond anything I could even attempt to write about at the moment. I promise a listing of events as soon as I am able. My muscles are so cramped, my mind so utterly spent, my spirit so trampled, and whole body feels weak from exhaustion. I can say, however, my wife was amazing in the role she played today. She was able to speak to the boss of yesterday's major idiot (the discharge coordinator). Little Miss Peggy will be in significant trouble, I suspect. I will write more about the detals when I am coherent.

My total fuel for the day at the hospital.... until I arrived home at 9pm consisted of a bran muffin, roughly 12 cups of coffee, 15 or 16 pipes, and roughly 3 liters of water. When I arrived home, I did have some vegetable soup and a salad.

My mind is in one of those states where it is too tired to focus and think, but also too active to sleep. Insomnia is usually not an issue for me, but it is and shall continue to be tonight. Strangely, what sounds very, very good right now would be to fix myself a large, double gin & tonic over crushed ice. However, even though it sounds good, I will not have one for three reasons: 1) I could be called back to the hospital at any moment, so I need to be in tip-top driving condition, 2) Even though a gin and tonic would taste good and would relax me, I really do not enjoy drinking alone, and try to never do so, and 3) I find drinking when sad to not be particularly useful or helpful (even as a sleep aid). To me, it is really only fun to drink when you are in a happy, relaxed mood and you can have fun with faimily or friends.

Looking back, I just realized..... I believe it has been at least 8 to 10 weeks since I have gotten together for an afternoon of pipes and drinks with my elderly father-in-law. I miss that. Perhaps some day, life will be calm enough again to be able to enjoy something as simple as that.

Well, this is a rambling post. I apologize for the continued disorder. I think I will slide in another of my DVDs of episodes of Cannon. I really enjoy seeing the show again, but compared to television today, the pace is very slow, and I suspect it may just be the trick for my insomnia.

I promise a more complete update tommorrow.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home