The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

.
Cold Air Stream

Some days just *feel* different. I woke up very easily and very early this morning and started meandering around. I decided to get ready and head to work right away. In the winter, as is my practice to conserve a bit of energy, I went outside to start my truck, turn the defroster on high, and scrape off the windshield. I typically allow my vehicle to run for roughly 5 minutes and then turn it off and get ready for work. It saves gas in the long run and saves time for me by having the car ready to go when I am finished taking a shower and getting dressed.

Well, this morning, as I went out in my pajamas (and a coat) to start my truck, the atmosphere was "crisp". By crisp, I mean that there was a palpable dryness and coldness to the temperature that happens only occasionally. This morning was a bit warmer than usual (20 degrees Farenheit [-7 degrees Celcius]), but had that delightful crispness. Also, the air was utterly still.

Typically when I start my truck, I scoot back into the house for the few minutes I let it run before I come back out to turn the vehicle off. But this morning was so pleasant and appealing, I instead walked around to the back yard and started looking at some of the baren branches on the trees nearer the house. The cruch of the snow underfoot was pleasantly rough, sounding almost like coarse sandpaper being used on a piece of rough hewn oak. I too my pipe (my birthday pipe) out of my coat pocket, and my tobacco pouch and filled the bowl of the pipe. I had a pleasingly potent and vivid burley leaf that was tinctured with cranberry. After igniting the bowl, I inhaled a large draught of the creamy, thick smoke, and slowly exhaled a strem of the smoke. The plume of smoke was larger and more tangible than it typically appeared because of the mix of the very dry, cold air and the water vapor that I also exhaled. I watched for a few minutes the shapes and patterns that each exhaled lungful of the rich smoke displayed as it slowly dissipated. Then looking again into the branches of a nearby tree, I saw two coocoons delicatly dangling from the distal end of one of the delicate ternimal branches. The leaves that encased each coocoon were twirled around it like a blanket. From the size and shape, and design of coocoon, I suspect the species of moth that is inside is a Cecropia.

After I finished my pipe, I went back to the truck, shut it down and went back inside to shower, shave (my neck), and get dressed for the day. I imagine I looked quite unusual standing around quietly in my pajamas in the backyard, smoking my pipe on this very cold morning. It was, truly pleasant.

* * * * *

The Service at the Grief Support Group last night was nice. I did not feel a huge sense of emotion (good or bad) during this meeting. I was content to listen, and then during the service, I followed proceedure and showed a photograph of my mother and briefly explained when she passed away, what gift she gave to me, and what I miss most about her. I ended up bringing the largest photograph of anyone in the group (a framed 8x10... most had wallet sized images or 5x7s) but that was not a problem as it helped people to see her image better across the room. I explained how she passed away unexpectedly in March. I said that she gave me many, many gifts, but that the three most crucial to me at that moment were 1) her time, and 2) her encouragement to explore who and what I could be and could become, and 3) the idea of having a life devoted to service. What I missed most about her, I stated, was her smile, her laugh, and being able to talk *with* her. I also stated that I know I can to her, but it is not the same. So, overall, it was a mild evening in terms of emotions, and a generally nice experience. I went home and was able to have a very pleasant and warm evening with my wife.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home