The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

.
Disruption of Routine

I am a man who likes routines. I am a man who finds comfort and tranquility in routine.

Life seems at its best when there are day-to-day occurrences that I can count on to keep things going smoothly. It is times like those, where routine is available, that I feel the gleeful pleasure in "stepping things up a bit" and deviating from routine. When I *get* to choose to deviate from routine, I often find those moments where life feels its most magical, its most vivid, its most invigorating.

Yet, the lion's share of the times when routine is deviated from, it is not of my doing, it is not of my choice, and it happens in a happenstance, scattered, unpredictable manner. This is typically when life is at its lowest, when my psyche is battered and bruised. It is when I feel surly in my mind, my heart and in my soul.

So, it seems routine is the balance wheel, the fulcrum upon which my mental homeostasis resides. And the deviation from balance is the yin and yang of life... the aspects of the same item that are at polar opposites of each other, yet also the same.

To realize this makes my head spin.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home