The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

.
Take This B*llsh*t and Shove It!

What is it I do not get? I love my teaching and research. I truly do! I relish being on a variety of committees and groups to be active in service in my community. Again, I truly do! So, what is it that puts a damn, dark cloud over my feelings about work so much of the time:

1. Asinine people who try to take advantage of me by having me do THEIR work.

2. Students who view a college education as a piece of paper you purchase, and view professors as their salesmen. I am an educator, not a babysitter. I am the person who understands what is appropriate for you to learn. Do not come to me with attitude and bravado and think you will bully me into giving you a good grade. No way in hell will that happen. Instead, you will just p*ss me off and get me aggravated for the day.

3. Administrators who view faculty as hamsters on a wheel. They think that we are cattle to be herded, but let me assure you, 99+% of us faculty will not behave like cattle, but instead you will be finding yourself in a situation akin to herding a hundred cats. It WON'T work.

Now, let me reassure you that there are MOSLTY VERY NICE PEOPLE that I work with, and there are MOSTLY WONDERFUL STUDENTS I work with, and there are even MOSTLY WONDERFUL ADMINSTRATORS I work with, but it is the small number who are rude idiots in each of the above three categories that drain every ounce of energy out of my being. They are the ruination of my mind and my psyche. I need to develop a better way to deal with them. But what the hell is that way?

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home