The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

To Be Better

Before Maas this weekend I went to confession, and my sins were the same as is unfortunately the norm for me.  I confessed to instances where I lacked patience that I should have had with various family members.  I described my sins of getting angry at people I should not have gotten angry at.  And, I described again how I found myself unable to be forgiving of the two people who hurt me horribly at work about two years ago.  This last sin in particular was especially problematic for me because I had thought I had made progress in actually forgiving them.  I was unfortunately wrong.   The penance I have been told to do to help me overcome this sin was to say and contemplate the "our Father" Prayer each time I thought of the two of them and their hurt if me.  This far, today I have done this eight times.   I am thinking it may be helpful for me in forgiving them.  It has been able to help me focus on my faith instead of my pain, and I think that may be a part of the process.  I shall be continuing to do this with each thought of them.  I am feeling hopeful.

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger BBC said...

Would you just fucking give up on your fucking religion? And some people deserve for you to be pissed off at them, they are not perfect either you know.

Monday, 14 October, 2013  
Blogger billy pilgrim said...

the king makes an excellent point.

lacking patience a sin?????

this might be a personal question, but are you giving these jokers 10% of your gross?

Wednesday, 16 October, 2013  
Blogger amelia said...

I'm with BBC here, you're human just as they are. Cut your self some slack!

Saturday, 19 October, 2013  
Blogger Margo said...

Hi Sir,

I am a former alcoholic, with many years' sobriety. In the AA Big Book, which provide wonderful wisdom and guidance for living, alcoholic or not, there is a chapter on "Freedom from Bondage." It is all about forgiving people, and all I can say that if you do what it suggests, you will be free. Since you are a person of faith, you may be open to its suggestions. You pray for those you hold resentment against every day for two weeks, asking God to grant them everything you would wish for yourselves. Chances are that these people you resent are wounded birds in some way. Anyway, years ago I used this to forgive a family member, and today I have a very good relationship with that person. Best wishes.

Thursday, 31 October, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home