The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Insturments I Play



I think I have mentioned this once or twice in the past, but music and musical instruments are a strong hobby of mine.  I have a special fondness for a variety of woodwind instruments.  If I were to list the instruments that I am strong enough in playing that I consider myself an adequate amateur player, they would be in order of preference:

1.  Bass Clarinet
2.  Soprano Clarinet
3.  Alto Clarinet
4.  Tenor Saxophone

In the above, I have over the years also had as a hobby the tearing down and rebuilding and refurbishing a variety of these instruments.  I find it enjoyable and relaxing. 

I noodle around, attempting to become adequate on a few other instruments as well.  These instruments would be:

1.  Ukulele
2.  Guitar
3.  Piano

I am by no means proficient on any of the above three string instruments (yes, the piano is often classified as a string instrument), but I do enjoy trying to develop skills in them.

My wife was feeling emotional about a variety of issues yesterday, mostly related to work and a little bit about her siblings.  I was caught in the emotional hailstorm as well as she verbally lashed out at me at one point during the day, although I was not any part of what caused the whirlwind of emotions.  That stung a bit, but I (luckily) stayed quiet and then a bit later we talked about it, and then after her apologies, I then encouraged her to open up about what was going on with her emotions and tried to be a good listening ear for her.  To be my wife's sounding block where she can express the myriad of emotions she has at times tends to be very helpful for her.

PipeTobacco


3 Comments:

Blogger Forsythia said...

This is an amazing array of instruments. BTW, I value my husband's being "a good listening ear" more than when he tries to give me advice. All I really want is to be heard and understood. I am sure your wife appreciated it.

Wednesday, 16 August, 2017  
Blogger Sharon said...

I kinda think being a sounding board for your spouse is implied in the marriage vows. Sorry your wife was having a bad day yesterday, but aren't you glad you were there to help her with it?

Wednesday, 16 August, 2017  
Blogger Jono said...

Mostly women seem to need men to be good listeners. I am pretty much stuck with guitar although I started out as a trombone player. I wish I had been more serious about music all along, but it does give me pleasure still, even when I play in public.

Thursday, 17 August, 2017  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home