The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, July 15, 2019

17 Months


Yesterday marked my completion of 17 months without smoking a pipe.  I still feel quite indifferent about the "accomplishment".  I wish I was enthused or excited,  or "proud" of this accomplishment like I do feel about my running and my exercise efforts.  Each time I hit a new goal in running I feel motivated.  That has not happened yet with the pipe refraining.  I *did* feel happy about refraining when it was a part of my Lent effort, but after Lent concluded.... indifference. 

But, at the same time, it is not particularly difficult or challenging to refrain anymore.  Sure, there are times that I really think a pipe would be wonderful and mentally rewarding and pleasant.  And, I *do* very much miss smoking a pipe with my various deceased pipe smoking "buddies" (especially my father and father-in-law). 

I do not know what will transpire now in regards to my pipe smoking.  To go back would be wonderful for its innate pleasures.... but filled with melancholy as I would be alone in the endeavor.  To continue to refrain would be best in terms of health and in terms of society... but is also immersed in a bit of melancholy.... because I can remember how it once was. 

For some reason, this sort of "no-man's-land" I find myself in has me hearing two songs playing in my mind "Nowhere Man" by the Beatles, and  "Horse With No Name" by America both seem to reverberate in my thoughts when I think of where I am at today:

Nowhere Man

Horse With No Name

That is about it for me today, I guess.

PipeTobacco

2 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Good for you for stopping and resisting. Do please continue even if you are indifferent.

Friday, 19 July, 2019  
Blogger GaP said...

If you enjoy the hobby and don't want to feel alone with it, check with THE BRIAR REPORT. They have a directory on the informal YOUTUBE PIPE COMMUNITY (YTPC). I was surprised to fin even MY channel in there...TheGentlemanScholar. You would find a sense of fraternity there. Check out a gent called MATCHES860, a living legend in the community. Down to earth. Once a teacher or professor himself, I think...

Sunday, 21 July, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home