The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Another Thought Set

Although I try to keep my reflections on Mass focused on my Sunday blog post.... this week, due to my jumbled chaotic feelings has caused me to try to fix more fully my lack of focus this past Sunday.   So, I am exploring just a bit further:

In the readings from last Sunday, one of the strongest aspects to remember (and again, Pat nailed this very succinctly) is you are guided by God's command to forgive. 

Most of the time in my life, forgiving has been relatively "easy" and "natural" to do.   In *most* cases and in most day-to-day instances, forgiveness can and is relatively easy.   Even when I would have a few heated words with someone.... I could usually anticipate being able to forgive in short order. 

But sadly, I also have to admit, there have been a small handful of times (reasoning this through in my mind, I can identify FOUR times (FOUR people) with whom) I have or have had great difficulty to forgive. 

Two of those four total people are the two I have written about so frequently in the recent past.  They hurt me in ways that are difficult to describe.   But that is no excuse.   It is right that I must be able to forgive them.  I have been working hard to develop the mindset of forgiveness for those two. 

I *think* I am making a bit of progress.  Much of the time during the last two weeks..... instead of feeling hurt, feeling angry, feeling resentful towards those two,,,, I have been able to foster feelings of indifference.   Not a perfect example of forgiveness yet... but it is heading in a better direction. 

Pat mentioned this idea to me about forgiving, and I knew it was a right and good notion.  And, I had been working toward this but my mind sometimes would stumble back into the anger and distrust.  But, succinctly stating as I pray the Rosary that I must forgive them with each praryer... has helped me to shift my focus more toward that behavior I want to emulate and adopt. 

Again, another kind of "scattered" post with ideas all over the place.   Again, I am trying to get my thoughts to the page quickly as I keep struggling to catch back up. 

PipeTobacco

P.S.  One final comment.   I meant to mention it yesterday.  Pat stated at the end of a comment.... "You will also notice tomorrow that the readings remind us that each Christian is the temple of God. It doesn't, however, give guidance about burning fragrant incense in that temple! :-)"  I REALLY enjoyed that comment and it gave me a big smile.   I have had the same exact thought about that passage and also about the comparison of fragrant aromatic pipe tobacco to incense many times ever since I was a young kid so many decades ago.


2 Comments:

Blogger Forsythia said...

Indifference seems like a step in the right direction--not letting them take up so much of your "bandwidth."

Tuesday, 25 February, 2020  
Blogger ILLUMINATI GRAND LODGE® said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Friday, 28 February, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home