The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Sunday, February 16, 2020

Mass Thoughts

I tried really hard to work to turn my mental energy and focus around yesterday.  But it was hard.  I found the following from Mass today to be the most helpful parts for me to hear:

Before man are life and death, good and evil,
whichever he chooses shall be given him.


and

No one does he command to act unjustly,
to none does he give license to sin.


In the first statement, I was startled at first into thinking about my own situation and thinking... have I been choosing evil and that is why I feel so stressed and frustrated?  But, after contemplating it further, I honestly do not think I choose evil, and I do try to choose good in life.   After thinking further, I do realize how hearing the first statement above, though, is helpful for me.... because I can say that when I am hurt or stressed..... I do get angry, typically inside myself... which in some ways may actually be choosing a form of evil towards self.  Perhaps in that context, it will help me to better figure out ways to shed the anger and disappointment and frustration that I feel?

The second line is helpful for me.... again because.... I know..... but benefit from the reminding.... that just because life can and is hard at times.... it does not give me an excuse to fail at my trying to always work to do good, positive, affirming things in life.   Sometimes the emotional hurt I can feel blinds me to my role in life, blinds me to the idea that regardless of what I FEEL, I have to try to persevere to work harder to do good.  I CANNOT do as I sometimes feel.... curl away in isolation and just try to sleep the emotional pain away.   That is selfish.

PipeTobacco   


3 Comments:

Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I think we all have an license is to be "good"

Sunday, 16 February, 2020  
Blogger Tom Cochrun said...

The admonition from Micah can help us get beyond ourselves, despite ourselves.
Acting justly, loving mercy and walking humbling is a full assignment for me.

Sunday, 16 February, 2020  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

The last couple of days I've felt the desire to just curl up in bed an hide. No particular reason, it just huts sometimes. And sometimes doing just that is necessary so don't be too hard on yourself again.

Monday, 17 February, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home