The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Tomorrow

Tomorrow is “launch day” as far as my electronic teaching goes.  I *think* I am about 80% ready with decent stuff.  I will be fussing and fixing things tonight still for the big launch.  After that point, I think my day will be able to fall into a general routine for work.  At least I sure as hell hope so.

I can say I am comfortable in how to create meaningful content electronically.  It is still not as fun or as “real” nor as “thought-provoking” as is face-to-face teaching.  But, it will allow the students to acquire, if they choose to, what they need.  The biggest part of my time in the whirlwind of the last several days was in my thinking, planning, developing and then learning and executing the ORGANIZATION of how students can navigate through this.  Electronic teaching requires a different mindset for both instructor and student.  I had to get my mindset “right” first on how to do it, and I have been working diligently to create things in such a way so as the students can get their mindset working in the same vein.

Wish me luck!

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I can imagine that you want to be more prepared for this form compared to the normal classroom. For one thing, you can't 'read' the students to see if they are with you or not.

Wednesday, 18 March, 2020  
Blogger Pat M. said...

In my admittedly limited experience, online teaching is a fine alternative to in-person lectures. But it can't quite simulate the discussion in a seminar room where people can pick up visual cues from those sitting around a table rather than on your computer screen. And it's certainly no substitute for sitting down with a professor in her or his office. Even my undergraduate education would have been lessened immeasurably had I not been able to sit across from a professor and ask questions. Especially in pursuing my M.A., my program was small enough that my advisor encouraged me to visit often and discuss my readings and my thesis preparation. Those hours were as valuable as any time I spent in class, and it's sad to think that students this semester won't be able to enjoy that aspect of an education.

Wednesday, 18 March, 2020  
Blogger austere said...


This may well be the teaching method of the future. Have been using Shomu's biology on YT and Khan Academy for my lot of 9th std underprivileged. Your students are vv lucky to have you and I'm sure you will ace this!

Saturday, 21 March, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home