The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, June 25, 2021

Positives & Negatives


 

First.... the bullets:

  • The TMJ flare-up has subsided somewhat, so that is very good.  It often takes 2-3 days to fully dissipate.
  • I ran 10.2 (~16.5km) miles as usual this morning.  I am already at 51.8 (~83km) miles for the week, so since I try to stay between 53 and 54 miles for the week, technically, I can get away with just a short, 2 mile run on Saturday.  In order to make it meaningful at such a short distance, perhaps what I should do is try to push my pace as absolutely fast as I am able to do for the entirety of the two miles.  That may make it helpful to me.  
  • I do not know if I mentioned this before, but I bid on and won a set of ten, quite vintage, unused (I guess I could call them NOS), very high-quality bass clarinet reeds a while ago.  I am estimating from the packaging that they may be from the late 1940s or early 1950s.   I bought them because I was able to get them for a tremendously cheap price (I think you all know I like to penny-pinch).  I am thinking perhaps some folks were thinking they were old, grubby, gungy things.... the exterior packaging of the box was rough.... but I could tell from images of the reeds themselves that they were NEVER USED, pristine reeds.  Even though there should be absolutely no discernible playing difference.... I think it will be enjoyably entertaining TO ME to know I am playing my beast using reeds that are roughly 70 years old.  

* * * * *

 I was thinking of some of the "positives and negatives" of my thwarted "adventure":

A.  It is a positive to me that I went there with the intention to enjoy myself.  That the place was not to my liking does not diminish the success of that intention.

 B.  It is also a negative that I went there.  When I found out I could not smoke my pipe there, maybe that should have simply killed the adventure?  As I mentioned before, I have never really desired to purposefully have a cigar.  The few that I have smoked across my life, were enjoyable, but almost all were given to me by someone.  

C.  It was a positive to me that I did not STAY in the bar, simply because I was there.  It was not a place that felt enjoyable, and there was pretty much no one to talk with.  Sure I could have had a drink or two, and could have smoked a over-the-top priced cigar.... but I am not thinking it would have been ENJOYABLE.  It was not an EXPERIENCE like it would have been in pretty much any of the three different scenarios I had anticipated finding.  

D.  It was a negative that I did not stay in the bar.  Perhaps I should have just done what I said I would do, and gotten it over with?  Maybe smoking a cigar would have helped me to know whether I should just stay fully "quit" from pipes and pipe tobaccos, or if I should continue trying to have occasional "experience" approaches with pipes and pipe tobaccos, or if I should just revert back to what was my prior proclivities?  

E.  It was a positive that I did not spend some outrageous amount of cash for a single cigar.  Even though I did not look at the drink prices.... I would not be surprised to see they were outlandish as well.  

These are the basic ideas I have been percolating in my mind.  A few others may arise if I think further.  But that is it for today.  

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Glad to hear your dog is alright though making her vomit sounds a fairly horrible experience.

The jaw-grinding sounds horrible and must be wearing on your nerves as well as your teeth.

Enjoy your vintage reeds!

Friday, 25 June, 2021  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Sometimes it is good to splurge and really treat yourself, but that certainly did not seem like the place to do it. Ugh!

Saturday, 26 June, 2021  
Blogger GaP said...

I've been having a craving for a cigar lately myself...but the cost is prohibitive. I doubt I'll really pick up the habit...One can get more pipe paraphernalia for the money anyway...

Saturday, 26 June, 2021  
Blogger Margaret said...

Isn't the whole thing an adventure and a learning experience? You are still pondering it, so I think overall it was a positive!

Saturday, 26 June, 2021  
Blogger Tom Cochrun said...

I too would have been disappointed by the Cigar Bar.
When I was still working a few of us would enjoy a cigar and adult beverage, but the environments were more "clubby."
Quiet music, if any, wingback or club chair, couches, small settings, low but tasteful light and they seem designed for communication and relishing a good smoke. That is not the vibe I detected from the description to worse.

Sunday, 27 June, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home