The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, May 27, 2021

Responsibilities

 

 

(PCS = 7)

If the hallmark of adulthood is the taking on of responsibilities, then I have that covered in spades. I have a headache at the moment, from too many tasks to do with the comparatively close to 0% interest in completing any of them.  So, I thought I would mindlessly put down a few of the various scattered thoughts from my neuronal pool here in a bulleted list:

  • (Happened a few days ago) About 15 minutes before my wife had to leave on a work related trip that involved driving ~3.5 hours one way and then ~3.5 hours back...... she went to open the garage door on her side of the garage when there was a HUGE bang, almost like a bullet sound.  The garage door spring broke.  Without the spring intact, it is impossible to raise the extremely heavy, solid wood garage door.... so her vehicle was stuck inside.  
  • The garage door on my side worked perfectly.  BUT.... my vehicle is a manual transmission.  My wife does not know how to drive a stick shift.  So, I ended up needing to drive her.  While it was nice to drive and talk with her, it basically destroyed any plans of work I had for the day.
  • It was only 40 degrees F ( ~ 4 C) this morning when I ran.  Such a huge contrast from yesterday.  A few days ago, I ran in a warm rain with just shorts on and no t-shirt.  Today, I had on a sweat shirt, sweat pants, a stocking hat and gloves.  
  • I like the flavor of my coffee to be very bitter, very strong, and completely unadorned (black).  
  • I have been making microwave tea from teabags frequently over the last two-three weeks.  Both the coffee and the tea.... for me... are served over ice and need to be very cold.  My tea (like the coffee) is best when it is very strong and completely unadorned with anything.  I especially like the mouth feel of strong tannins.  
  • Probably 99+ % of the time, I fall asleep rapidly and sleep very soundly.  From my wife's account it is quite infrequent that I snore.  And, she reports sometimes she worries because I do not seem to move and she sometimes has great difficulty discerning if I am breathing.... so she pushes and tries to roust me... but the depth of my sleep is quite intense.  I mention this only in reference to coffee and tea..... although I have never really had a problem with caffeine preventing me from falling asleep, I tend to try to avoid caffeine in the afternoon and evening just in case.  If I am really looking for more of the pleasant bitter flavor of coffee, I will sometimes drink decafinated in the afternoon  or evening.
  • I have still been thinking about the challenge I had the other day with my especially strong pipe cravings.  Its suddenness and its shear strength of longing truly caught me off guard.  I do not have any way to explain it either.  
  • I was wondering if the reality of the ebbing and flowing of desire for smoking my pipe (hence my PCS scale) means that perhaps the only way to actually SHED this desire, is to find or figure out some way to despise my pipes and vilify my pipe tobacco?  It *does* seem if I learned to hate them in this fashion the craving for them would dissipate.  But, with sincerity.... I do not think there *is* a way for me to actually create a despising heart for my pipes nor denounce pipe tobacco.  
  • I made a crock-pot of kidney beans (from dry kidney beans) the other day.  I focused on flavoring them with rosemary and garlic plus of course smaller amounts of other items.  They turned out very tasty (I really enjoy rosemary).  
  • I cannot remember if I wrote about this already, but I made a cardamon and honey cake and frosted it with lemon frosting a few days ago.  It was my first attempt at making a cake with cardamom.  It was good.... but in my next go around with it, I will likely double (or perhaps triple) the amount of cardamom I use.  As usual, my recipe was something I made up in my head.... so as such, sometimes it is a bit of trial and error.  I suspect though that doubling or tripling the cardamom will make the cake be just as I envisioned.  
  • I miss carrying a lighter in my pocket while at work.  I could do so, I guess, but it just seems rather superfluous to do so, since I do not have a pipe to light.  

I don't know.  I guess that is just a scattering of my thoughts.

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Maybe you can't learn to despise your pipes, but might you achieve nearly the same result if you gathered together your pipes and either threw them out or took them to a nearby tobacconist to sell as estate pipes?

Your pipes are your old friends, and they want you back. They still have a powerful hold over you, and eventually you will succumb, as long as they remain nearby to coax and tempt and entice you back into their permanent embrace. However, if you no longer have any pipes or tobaccos around the house, perhaps the effort required to buy and use a new pipe and fresh tobacco might be enough of an effort that you would find it far easier to resist.

When you despise your pipes enough to dispose of them, you'll surely have reached a milestone. Until then, aren't you just torturing yourself and delaying/avoiding a happy return to a wonderful fellowship with your old friends?

Otherwise, maybe as you experiment with strong and satisfying flavors in your food you can find some of the enjoyment you once could find in the many flavors of your tobaccos? Good luck with your ongoing experiments in the kitchen, Professor!

Thursday, 27 May, 2021  
Blogger Margaret said...

I've had my garage door spring break and it WAS a hassle. I could raise the door though since it's no longer wood and is lighter. I drink froufrou coffee--more like hot chocolate with a couple espresso shots in it. :) I too am unmotivated to do much that I should.

Thursday, 27 May, 2021  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Ouch to the garage door and subsequent extra driving for you. It possibly was not unpleasant, but it was how you planned to use your time.

Thursday, 27 May, 2021  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

It was raining this afternoon as it was sunshining, and my mom claim the devil was beating his wife.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Thursday, 27 May, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home