The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Steel Drum


 

While running today (14.7 miles (~23.6 km)), I first listened to Mass that was daily mass (from yesterday, Monday) for my favorite Capuchins.  It was as wonderful as usual.  Unfortunately, sometimes daily Mass is a bit short in length for my run.  Sometimes I will listen to the Mass twice or will change to some of my music on Pandora (of the stations I have created, the stations I especially like are the Jazz Channel, the Saxophone Jazz Channel, the Wind Orchestra Channel, the Catholic Music Channel, the Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young Channel, and the 60s-70s Channel).  But, I did not really feel like listening to the Mass twice, nor listening to Pandora.  

So, I instead stopped for a moment and did a brief search and happened to find a streaming Mass from a Parish in Trinidad and Tobago, which intrigued me.  Fortunately, it was in English too.  So, I decided to listen to it.  One of the most interesting differences in the Mass was the incorporation of the Steel Drum within the music of Mass.  I have always found the Steel Drum an interesting instrument, but to hear it incorporated in Mass was especially interesting.  

* * * * *

I am "playing hooky" a bit today.... meaning I am not going to go into the U.  After my run, I was working on a few odd-and-ends tasks around the house as my wife did a few things for her work via the computer.  I am in my den at the moment, eating some of "work food" (even when playing hooky, I tend to like the same general morning/lunch foods), drinking an iced coffee (black), and I thought I would put up a post.   When my wife is finished in a bit with her "stuff", we are going swimming and then going to spend the rest of the day meandering about together. 

* * * * *

PCS - still at a comfortable to manage, 5.  So, while I have thought of my pipes and pipe tobaccos often today already, and while I would VERY MUCH enjoy smoking a pipe today.... the highlight of the "5" score is that I do not feel the sense of frustration or aggravation that I am not smoking my pipes.  I am not sure if that makes sense.  

* * * * * 

I noticed I had forgotten to mention a few of the things I wanted to respond to in regard to Pat's recent comments.  I am not sure how I forgot.  Actually, I THOUGHT I had responded, but I cannot my response in any of my recent posts nor in any replies to comments. That is my oversight and I apologize.  But, yes, I have been able to go swimming (seemingly safely) with my wife several times during the last several days.  It is wholly wonderful and refreshing.  And, I also wanted to mention that I agree with Pat about my Martha post.  There IS more beyond service.  I agree completely.  But, it seems for me, that service is the primary way in which I CAN enact change in myself to become more of the person I hope to be.  

PipeTobacco

 

4 Comments:

Blogger Forsythia said...

A steel drum played at Mass probably doesn't sound exotic to the Trinidadians. What would they think of a guitar or pipe organ? Speaking of pipes, I see you are still wrestling with your desire to indulge. How can
"just this once?" hurt anything, or even "at the end of every quarter" or more often? You seem disciplined enough in other facets of your life. Must an occasional pipe turn into a wildfire raging out of control?

Tuesday, 26 July, 2022  
Blogger Forsythia said...

PS. My daughter and I are working on turning my blog from 2007 to the present into book form. Copies will be given as mementoes to various family members. As soon as it's safely in print, I hope to start blogging again. Even though confined to my house, I still have things to say.

Tuesday, 26 July, 2022  
Blogger Margaret said...

The incorporation of different instruments is fascinating. My older daughter loved the West African music and interesting instruments when she lived there.

Tuesday, 26 July, 2022  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Speaking of masses, the pope is in Canada now apologizing for the horror of residential schools. Some are opining that he is still not taking enough responsibility for the church’s role in this, and it is still apparently church policy to try to completely reform indigenous peoples. I don’t know this — just passing on something that I have read.

Wednesday, 27 July, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home