The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, July 21, 2022

Quiescence


 

It seems like readership of my blog is in a quiescent state of sorts at the moment.  This could be attributable to a) my posts being boring, or b) Summer keeping more folks from reading blogs and other electronica, or c) some other factor I cannot discern.  For all of you who remain reading, I wanted to THANK YOU, for I greatly enjoy writing here and talking with you, and I appreciate all comments.  

I am approaching my weekly goal of anything over 55 miles (~ 88-90 km) running in a week for this week, so TODAY I only ran 10.3 miles (~16.5 km).  It is a bit of an odd feeling when I finished today, and I felt that my 10.3 seemed like a "short" run!  I guess that can be considered a positive of sorts.  On Friday, if things go well, All I need to run tomorrow would be a minimum of 4.6 miles (~7.5 km) to reach my weekly goal.  If I do that on Friday, I can have two days off.  

* * * * *

PCS - 6..... which is a slight improvement, although I still have quite a bit of a "craving" of sorts to be smoking my pipes.  Actually, maybe its not so much of a "craving" per say....  instead, it is more of a feeling of "loss" of them.  I miss the activity, I miss the flavor, I miss the mental stimulation/relaxation of the nicotine, I miss the "innate-ness" of just going about a day, picking up a pipe and pouch and lighter whenever the mood felt right.... without giving it a thought.

* * * * *

I have three of my four Fall classes ready to go both electronically, and in terms of the syllabi.  In the fourth class, I have the syllabus finished, but my (perhaps foolish) choice to re-aggregate the positions and rewrite some of the materials regarding the lab mean I still have a considerable amount of electronica to accomplish.  Yesterday, I tired out my mouse had with so many mouse clicks that I am surprised my mouse didn't collapse from exhaustion.  

* * * * *

My wife and I are going to have an "easy" dinner tonight.  With the heat and with us planning a late afternoon swim, we wanted simple and easy.  We are going to get submarine sandwiches from  Jimmy Johns and I will have a salad and some vegetables with it that I can throw together quickly.  

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Professor, if you only "need" to run 7.5 km on Friday, perhaps this would be another very nice opportunity to go "all out" for 5 km to see how you might perform in another road race, as you won't need to reserve energy for that much more of a run before or after an intense 5 km effort.

As for your "Martha" ruminations, isn't there one big aspect that you didn't mention? Jesus didn't just tell Martha, "go on serving and stop worrying. He went on to say that Mary had the "best part" by choosing to put aside her service for some time and hear Jesus speak. There will always be time to serve others, but time spent communing with and serving God is a higher priority still. Not that you neglect your service, but that you put first things first.

And if you feel like a lone wolf or outcast as a pipe smoker, does it count for something that Jesus didn't mind being seen with tax collectors and other outcasts of His day? There are reasons you might prefer to abstain from you pipes, and reasons you might prefer to return to them, but neither choice puts you closer to or farther away from God, in and of itself.

I see that you didn't today say anything about yesterday's hoped-for swimming. I hope it worked out well for you, and that you can return to the community pool often during these hot days!

Thursday, 21 July, 2022  
Blogger Margaret said...

I wish I enjoyed swimming since there is so much water around me! Mu older daughter starts her new job (fellowship) in September; I think there will be things she'll miss about academia. But not the prep for classes and writing the syllabi! :)

Thursday, 21 July, 2022  
Blogger Linda from Alabama said...

I have just discovered your blog and find interesting to read each day. Best wishes.

Thursday, 21 July, 2022  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Commenting is variable. Sometimes I read a post and don’t know what to say. I am not necessarily referring to your blog but just generally.

Friday, 22 July, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home