The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, August 11, 2022

Beaver

 

I am trying to be a busy beaver today and get a whole host of things done at the U before I leave relatively early around 3:30 or so to go to a friend's house for a bit to drop off the clarinet that he had asked me to work on and get "up to snuff" for a person he wants to give the horn to in order to encourage her to join our Community Band this Fall.  I may have mentioned this situation earlier, I cannot recall.  But, unfortunately, due to things with "life" and especially concerning my MIL, I have been slow to get this instrument back to my friend.  I had to re-pad several keys and cleaned and oiled several keys rods so that they would function smoothly.  I also waxed the tenons and gave the Gredalila wood of the body of the clarinet a good coating and rub-down with bore oil.  Since I am late in getting it back to him, I will have to offer plenty of sincere apologies, as I do not like to not be timely and reliable.  And, it will be good to have the task off my plate.  At that point, I am hoping my wife and I will go swimming.  

 In my "busy beaver" state of mind, I am limiting myself to only 15 minutes of "speed writing" here.  So, I again, apologize (as I should every day probably) about any errant typos or grammatical errors.  

* * * * * 

I got up very early and ran only 10 miles today (~16.1 km).  I actually felt like running more.... initially was aiming for 15 miles.  But, I realized if I ran 15 miles today, I would hit my weekly goal of 55 miles TODAY, and then have three days without running.  While at some level, three days off would be enjoyable.... I am not sure if that is really a good thing to do, so I am saving 5 miles for tomorrow and still taking the weekend off. 

* * * * * 

The trip my wife and I took to the Capuchin Monestary was everything we could hope for and more.  We were able to attend a Mass for the Sick service (it is what they traditionally hold on Wednesdays).  

  • The Mass was nice for us, and for me, I prayed for special intentions for my MIL, for our kids (especially the one having a variety of challenges) and also for my wife so that she may have the fortitude to do what she needs to help her with her Type 2 Diabetes.
  • Exploring the Monastery's Museum and its Gift Shop was also wonderful. I bought three new books relating to the Capuchins I am looking forward to reading.  
  • We sat in a variety of locations in the Monastery's Gardens throughout the day as well. It was wonderfully tranquil and peaceful.
  • Even though, just a silly aside.... I also have to tell you about a happenstance occurrence that occurred as well.  It tickled me no end.  As you would expect at a Monastery, there were many priests and brothers moving about all through the grounds of the Monastery.  One thing you may not realize is that most Capuchins will wear a beard, as it USED to be a requirement of the Order as a sign/symbol of their poverty, mission, and work for the poor.  This is no longer required by the Order, but many (most) still choose to wear a beard/mustache.  Well, my wife and I were walking along one of the paths and coming the other direction, down the same path was one of the elder Capuchins (I estimate he was in his early-to-mid 80s).  I knew him from previous visits over the years, as did my wife.  So, as we drew near, I stated, "Hello Fr. Xxxxx" and my wife and I both raised our hands in a "wave" of hello.  It is unlikely he knew us by name (they see so many people), but I think he likely recognized us by sight, as we have been there before and attended Masses he had given.  As he passed us, he too greeted us, saying, "A beautiful and blessed morning to both of you!" and then he added "... you have a very nice beard."  As you can guess, I smiled at the complement and even my wife smiled (with a bit of resignation) at the accolade I received.... now from a Capuchin elder!  In the future, if I happen to get a complement from someone, and my wife "rolls her eyes" I will have to remind her that my beard/mustache is now Capuchin approved!  :)

* * * * * 

PCS = 7 -  Not sure why, but I am simply experiencing a bit of that deep, deep yearning feeling today to indulge in my pipes and pipe tobaccos.  I am not sure if I am feeling nostalgic and feeling as wanting to be in a simpler, gentler time, or if there is some other reason.  But, I am feeling that longing, and it is pretty darn strong.  

* * * * *

The 15 minute bell went off!  Must head out to do more work.

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It’s amazing what you can do in 15 minutes. I would still be flexing my fingers.

Thursday, 11 August, 2022  
Blogger Pat M. said...

Fifteen minutes? If I'm calculating correctly, you managed a bit more than 58 wpm, even while thinking as you typed. That's a busy beaver indeed!

Thursday, 11 August, 2022  
Blogger Margaret said...

I don't time myself but I usually put up a post in 10 minutes or so. Sometimes I have trouble inserting photos so that part takes longer but the writing is quick. Your beard must be stunning! I wish you could share a picture of it.

Thursday, 11 August, 2022  
Blogger GaP said...

You are a typing machine, Professor!

Friday, 12 August, 2022  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I have no ideal why we have desire or yearning for things.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Friday, 12 August, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home