The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Pushing Through


 

The summary statement:

"It was not as bad as it could have been, nor as good as it could have been."

encapsulates the collective of my Holiday experience.  

Life proceeded, no major meltdowns occurred.  It was not a time of "joy & festivities" but it was a time of pushing through with work to have minimal conflict.  

The difficult relationship I no longer feel comfortable speaking of here proceeded.  No worsening. No bettering.  It just is as it is.  It is not where I would like it.  But, it is not getting worse... at least at the moment.  

*****

Yet, it was rather energy draining.  It has not been relaxing.  It has not been resting on my laurels.  Nor has it been basking in love nor affirmation.  It just is as it is.

*****

The positives are that I have my wife with me.  She is my companion on this journey.  I relish her and am thankful for her.  We may take a day trip to a Capuchin Monastery.  If we get to do this, it will be helpful for both of us.  That may be our Holiday highlight.  

*****

Through all of this, I have pushed and forced myself to continue on my 55 mile (~89 km) a week running journey.   A few days during the Holiday it has been a struggle to do so, but at the same time, pushing myself to do so has helped tire me out so that I feel less the stressors swirling about. If I complete the 55 miles this week, I will have ran 55 miles every week through the entirety of 2022.  I will know the official tally at the end of the week, but I am set to hit ~2,850 miles (~4,587km) for 2022. We shall see what the official tally will be.  

Since 2022 was a full blown return to "normal" work (no Covid-related aspects of getting some quantity of work occurring from home) I have found that my 55 miles a week is a bit taxing on my old body.  I am not sure yet my plans for 2023.  I am contemplating reducing my weekly mileage to 50 miles a week.  I am not sure yet, if that will be my plan for I feel a bit sad about reducing.  But, I think it may be also easier to maintain as an effort.  But, I am not sure what I will ultimately decide.  

*****

In  my next post, I am hopeful that I can immerse myself again back into memories of my Chicago trip and continue with that.  I want to write about it as its own experience, rather than have it colored by the current state.  I believe I am at a point where that is again possible.

PipeTobacco  

4 Comments:

Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

hug your wife for me..

Wednesday, 28 December, 2022  
Blogger Margaret said...

I'm glad that nothing has worsened and that you have the love and support of your wife. That makes a huge difference. I would lower your mileage to relieve your stress of meeting that goal every week. It's still a LOT!

Wednesday, 28 December, 2022  
Blogger Pat M. said...

Professor, my theory about the last couple of posts is that you received your new novel-writing book, and you've been practicing the art of making your readers anticipate the resolution of a cliff-hanger! :-) I'm definitely looking forward to more of the Chicago story whenever you feel you're up to writing it in a way that does it justice!

Wednesday, 28 December, 2022  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

When you write about reducing your miles, the fact that you are even considering it suggests to me that you should probably do it. I am thinking that 7x7=49 sounds good. I know that you don’t really do it evenly like that, but it still appeals to em for some reason.

Wednesday, 28 December, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home