The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Dog Dead Tired

Not sure why, but I am dog-dead tired.  I am planning to HOPEFULLY swim with my wife ~5:30pm tonight, and I suspect that may rejuvenate me a bit.  

Brief overview of my day:

  • 10.1 miles ran  (~16 km) (hit the track at 6:03am).
  • Had the dog do her "constitutional" and then got ready to head to work.
  • Arrived at the U at 8:40am.
  • Ate a banana.
  • Reviewed my upper division lecture to make sure I knew what the hell I was going to be talking about.
  • Hoofed to and Taught A&P1
  • Hoofed to and Taught my upper division class
  • Hoofed to and Taught A&P2
  • Ate more food.
  • Wrote out some "philosophical thoughts" to try to guide my youngest son with some of the decisions he is trying to make.  He is unfortunately a bit stubborn (or maybe the term "alternatives-blind" is a good one) about not easily seeing other options. He tends to imagine there is always only "one way to skin a cat" as the old saying goes.  He often cannot see past that presumed way he initially envisions. 
  •  Graded some papers.

I can also happily state that my research students successfully submitted four abstracts.  I am glad for them.  Now, I have to work more strenuously on coaching them how to talk about and present their data and how to navigate the professional science meeting environment. 

PCS - 8... I think being more "tired" enhances my cravings a bit.  One of my very fond memories from when I first became a professor, were the early semesters when I had one day each week where I had a continual teaching schedule that ended at the late hour of 10:00pm.  I remember the sheer exhaustion I felt as I traipsed from my building at the U into the far parking lot where my rusty, yet trusty truck of the time was parked.  But, I ALSO remember the sheer, nearly intoxicating joy I felt upon sitting down in the cab of my truck, opened the driver's side window and methodically, yet a bit feverishly filled the bowl of my pipe with the dark leaf, and drew the flame from my Zippo deeply into the bowl.  I would sit there for a few moments, fiddling with the radio dials a bit to tune a decent channel, then backing out of the parking spot and beginning the slow meander home.  My pipe would be so, so beautiful a friend at the end of an exhausting day.  

PipeTobacco

2 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

You do so much during the course of the day, both physically and mentally that I can't imagine NOT being exhausted! :)

Tuesday, 17 January, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Time must fly for you.

Wednesday, 18 January, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home