The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Yes... I Agree


 

My friend who comments as Anvilcloud mentioned yesterday how I seem to have written an awful lot in a very short time yesterday.  And, I agree, and perhaps it was a bit too much.  Often when I feel pressure to get some thoughts OUT of my head, I will come here to write a rapid-fire, nearly free form post of thoughts I am trying to a) get OUT of my mind instead of ruminating on them, b) get a way to better "organize" my thoughts related to things that are going on or that I must do, or c) taking a brief break to "breathe" before I head back into some form of "professor" mode..... almost akin to a coffee break or a pipe break.  

The post I wrote yesterday, erupted onto the page in ~12 minutes, and I allowed myself one quick glance through to at least catch the MOST glaring of errors (although I likely missed many).  So, roughly 15 minutes.

* * * * * 

  • I ran OUTSIDE this morning for the first time in a long while.  It was much nicer than running circles.  I am glad to be able to be transitioning back to outside again.  10 miles ran (~16km).
  • I prayed through the rosary while running as is my norm, but I also listened to my Mass music station on Pandora as well.  Lately, I had been listening to various Masses (Capuchin and otherwise) from around the Lent and Easter Masses.  But, I felt more excited about music this morning.
  • During and after the rosary, I thought a lot about my one kid whom I no longer write about here and the decisions and challenges this offspring of mine is going through.  Prickly like a cactus, though this individual is most of the time, I do want to try to guide and help even though the track record of good results lately is nearly nil.  I just want happiness for my kid who is struggling with poor choices and a resistance to communicate.  
  • Also stuck in my head, after the rosary was concluded was more than a bit of regret about my lost pipe opportunity in Des Moines.  I am disappointed in myself that I was not better prepared for the adventure so that it could have happened.  In my mind, the "devil on my shoulder" keeps suggesting to me that since I missed that beautiful opportunity, I should instead make a trip down to an especially good tobacconist about an hour's drive (or a little more) from my home and splurge.. to  make up for the missed opportunity.  And, having found my beloved Butz-Choquin Dublin.... gave further fuel to the little red guy on my shoulder.  But, I know (or at least worry that I know) that if I were to do this "substitution" trip, I could easily envision in my mind ALL SORTS of reasons to make this trip a regular occurrence.... and it feels like a true, slippery slope.  
  • And, even though I know the pipe is "bad" for me in terms of health goals, I also was having meander through my mind, the old adage I used to spout, and still to large extent believe, that for me the pipe is also "nourishing" to me in some fashion.  
  • PCS = 8.5.... almost said 9, but I am pushing back a bit on the thoughts to try to keep the score a bit more at bay.

I didn't really make a "short" post today, although that was my goal.  It was just another "thought dump" to get thoughts out.

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Are you sure it isn't an angel on your shoulder, Professor? We are all going to die sometime, and you know very well that there are plenty of pipe smokers who've lived to ripe old ages. It's a tragic mistake to conflate pipe smoking with cigarette smoking as so many do.

But even if abstaining might give you an extra few weeks or months of life, can you truthfully say that when you look back on your life you will treasure the moments you spent abstaining from the nourishment of your pipes? Or will you look back most fondly on the moments enriched by your pipes?

You've spent five years demonstrating that you do not need to smoke your pipes. And Iwan Ries showed you that you can be an occasional pipe smoker. But is that really what is best for you? You're not a twentysomething youngster starting out on life; you're someone for whom your pipes and tobaccos have played a special role that no amount of abstinence can provide.

Professor, I hope you will listen to the angel on your shoulder and return to the blessed nourishment of your pipes.

Wednesday, 12 April, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

I hope you're not letting that former commenter determine what you can post on your own blog! I write fast usually although posting pictures takes a bit more time.

Wednesday, 12 April, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You have both a quick mind and quick fingers. I lack both.

Thursday, 13 April, 2023  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I worry about being redundant over on my blog.
Coffee is on and stay safe.

Friday, 14 April, 2023  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I think a blog is a brilliant place to empty your brain.

Saturday, 22 April, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home