The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, August 24, 2023

Physically - Emotionally

 

I am feeling a fair amount better both physically and emotionally at the moment.  I am not where I would LIKE to be in either regard, but I am far better off than I was in my last post:

  • As anticipated, the "tickle-y" aspect of the healing throat region of my pharyngitis would initiate massive, whole-body coughing spasms... and it did so for three nights in a row.  It was exhausting.  It made actual deep sleep virtually nil.  But, two nights ago, the coughing was about 1/3 of what it was the earlier nights, and LAST NIGHT, I had no coughing spells at all.  Last night's sleep was a wonderful sleep.
  • I have been consuming EVEN MORE fluids than my already very large amount I normally consume during these last several days.  It has increased my number of urinations considerably (a small negative), but I also firmly believe it has been helpful in assisting my body to fight off the infectious agent causing the pharyngits more rapidly than it otherwise would have been able to do.  I base this idea on the notion that TWO others in my household (one roughly my age and one considerably younger) who BOTH acquired and displayed symptoms of this pathogen days BEFORE me.... BOTH are also STILL displaying the coughing fits quite abundantly..... today, even though I have not had any coughing for perhaps the last 24 hours or so now.  Neither of these family members tends to consume what I would consider adequate fluid levels.  
  • My tiredness seems to be somewhat in decline as well:
    • Monday's 10 mile run was utterly horrible to accomplish. Most every mile was uncomfortable even though I was very slow.
    • Tuesday's 10 mile run was utterly horrible to accomplish. Most every mile was uncomfortable even though I was very slow.
    • Wednesday's 10 mile run was reasonable for the first three miles or so (~5 km), but then I felt very wiped out and tired for the remaining miles. 
    • Today (Thursday's) run was actually reasonably FUN again.  I actually ran 10.3 miles (~16.5 km), and it was deeply cloudy, foggy, misty with a high dew point, and..... I finished sopping wet from head to toe.... and often could not see because my glasses where steamed up and water-spotted..... but it felt.... back to close to normal too! 
  • I even felt "up-to-snuff" again that I had thoughts and desires and cravings to smoke my pipes again!  During the pharyngitis, I was SO blue and SO awful feeling that I had no thoughts of my pipes at all... nor of anything pleasant... or of anything to look forward to.  It was just days of sloughing through, trying to just exist.  The idea of smoking a pipe last night as I drifted off to sleep felt like a joyful idea and continued to feel wonderful and joyful today as well.  Even though I did refrain.  
  • No food actually was enjoyable or pleasant during the last few days either.  The first night, I ate popcorn in the late evening which I think was an especially poor choice as well, for I think the husks of the kernels exacerbated my "tickle-y" throat and made the evening far more frustrating with coughing.  I avoided any popcorn the next few days, and although I still had the damnable coughing spasms, it was a bit less severe.  

So.... even though I still feel a bit tired, I do feel I am mending and on an upward course at the moment which has helped me feel less blue.  

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

So glad you're on the mend! I'm a big believer in lots of fluids myself.

Thursday, 24 August, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

With all of your exercise, you are probably fitter than the average person, and more likely to rebound quickly.

Friday, 25 August, 2023  
Blogger Unknown said...

Look at that exclamation point, Professor. You were happy/excited/pleased to find that when the pharyngitis lifted, you:

...had thoughts and desires and cravings to smoke my pipes again!

You are happiest when you are wanting a pipe! Those desires are "wonderful and joyful" to you, not a problem or a burden. Please remember that feeling, so that whenever you do return full-time (be it monthly, weekly, daily, or whatever) you keep fully in touch with the joy, and not with any of the seemingly inevitable Catholic guilt you might feel at having done so.

I'm glad you are on the mend, Professor! Take care of yourself!

Friday, 25 August, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home