The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, August 02, 2023

Nothing

 

It seems that my "nothing" posts..... are not as popular as the "nothing" concept that was very successful in the wonderful television program, Seinfeld.  For that I apologize.  My life is not particularly interesting nor exciting at the moment, and I guess it shows.

Seinfeld.... in my mind, is the BEST television program that occurred during the last decade of the previous century.  In the terminology of the time, it was truly "Must See TV".  We were glued to the screen each and every week.  

My favorite major character in Seinfeld always was Elaine Bennis.  The ever beautiful Julia Louis-Dreyfus amazed us every week with her character.  

Arguably, in truth, I had TWO favorite main characters in Seinfeld.  My other favorite was George Castanza, played by the incredible Jason Alexander.  In MANY ways, he was even more fun, funny, and entertaining that Elaine.  But, some of the actions of George Castanza, some of his behaviors, some of his thoughts..... hit just a little TOO close to home for comfort.  In far too many ways I feel a kinship with this character.... being rather a schmuck myself, and having a similar tendency to kvetch a fair amount..... although I thought George Castanza was ROBUSTLY funny as a character.... the character also acted a bit as a mirror to my own self.  

Do not get me wrong.... Jerry (Jerry Seinfeld) and Kramer (Michael Richards) were valuable, important characters as well.  But, for me..... Elaine and George really drove the show into the stratosphere of comedy in my opinion.  

I have been thinking about Seinfeld the last several days, when I found that it is possible to purchase views of Seinfeld episodes via Amazon Prime.  I am trying to figure out a way to justify splurging on this possibility.  Even though I have not seen any episodes of Seinfeld since it went off the air in the late 90s.... I can still recall so many classic scenes.  I would like to watch the whole series again in order.  

  • Bad air quality today.  So, I forced myself to hoof out 11.1 miles (~18 km) on the indoor track.  I am glad for the track, but running over 100 laps..... very dull.  
  • My mind seemingly is going back into a stronger pipe desiring mode again.  Besides thinking about the pipe tobacco the avian embryologist I was intimidated to talk to back in my early years of graduate school.... I have also been thinking and reminiscing deeply about the incredibly beauty of the singular bowlful of "Three Star Blue" I was able to indulge in while in Chicago.  I can so easily recall even fine minutia of the flavors, textures, and power of the experience in its  entirety... of this bowlful of goodness from the moment flame contacted the leaf until I knocked the fine white ash from the bowl. 
  • I am awfully tired of cleaning and arranging and fussing with things... both at work (on the computer for classes this fall, in my laboratory, and in my teaching lab) and at home (fussing with cleaning and organizing the basement and the garage primarily.  It just NEVER seems to get "DONE".... it seems like it is forever on-going.  

Well, like I started with... I do apologize for the "nothing" post once again.  If I had anything more of relevance, I would  try my damnedest to get it onto this page.   

PipeTobacco


5 Comments:

Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Haha! I do like Mac…. and strangely enough, I had a Mac SE that we used as a non-system machine until probably around 2016 to run a respirometer demonstration in A&P lab because the U would not give us funds to update it. It finally went belly up.

My whole argument yesterday was that college students SHOULD adopt the platform that dominates the U they attend, be it Apple or Windows….. it will make their educational life easier.

Wednesday, 02 August, 2023  
Blogger Tom Cochrun said...

There is a streaming series of Seinfeld talking with comics while driving a vintage car and getting coffee. We found them to be a nice diversion.

Thursday, 03 August, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It was a classic. Has there been any good tv since then? I mean of the half hour sitcom type.

It probably wouldn't bankrupt you to make the transaction and just enjoy yourself for awhile.

Thursday, 03 August, 2023  
Blogger Pam J. said...

Blogs are such odd things. I would never, ever have figured you for a Seinfeld fan. Never. My family is one of those that speaks in Seinfeldisms. We all know every episode inside and out and can talk the lingo. The public libraries in my county all carry Seinfeld on DVD. Since I don't know (to my annoyance) where you live I don't know if your libraries are like mine but it's worth a try. Seinfeld is the perfect TV show for our times. He takes me away, briefly, from the insanity in our current news and reminds me that life is basically one big joke.

Thursday, 03 August, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

I enjoyed Seinfeld very much; the interplay between the characters was priceless. Kramer started out funny, then (I thought) overplayed his part.

Thursday, 03 August, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home