The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, August 14, 2023

Well....


 

In the greater world view, what I am about to write about, and in fact nothing that write about amounts to much of anything of significance or importance.  I know that.  It is just the way it is.  However, today, I am going to share with you something, that has no significance at all, except to me:

  • I awoke at a bit after 5:00am this morning, and was getting ready to try to do my usual run.
  • In my mind, I just wanted to get it over with, so I could get on with my day.... hence I ACTUALLY got out of bed at the time I had wanted to.  
  • I put on my typical running attire.... shorts, long-sleeve shirt that is polyester to reduce rubbing and chafing of my nipples (You would be surprised how damn annoying and uncomfortable they can feel after a long run if wearing a regular cotton t-shirt.  My chest hair  and other torso hair keeps the shirt from rubbing much of the rest of my torso, but the polyester shirt helps too.)  then I put on a regular, short-sleeve cotton t-shirt on over the top of that to help manage sweat, my socks, shoes and the baseball hat I wear while running.  The hat has become quite sun-faded on the outside.  The inside remains the original very dark blue, but the outside is now a dusty looking very light gray.  
  • I got out the door and was ready to begin by ~5:30am.  It was still dark, but I could tell that it was also heavily and densely cloud-covered.   That made me happy. 
  • I began running.
  • I started by listening to yesterdays Capuchin Monastery Mass.  It was helpful.  
  • I started to run through goals for the day at the U, and realized that today was one of the VERY FEW (if any other) days I had that were COMPLETELY UNSCHEDULED from now to the start of Fall Semester.   
  • So, I started to think.... I HAD set a goal for myself last December 31st.  This goal had been more of a "hope".  I had given up on this goal as an unattainable pipe dream a few months ago and had not thought of it much since that time.  

With the various emotional challenges that befell this Summer (most of which are related to that which I no longer talk about here), the ideas of goals, aspirations, hopes.... etc.... sort of have flown out the window.  I have felt a lot of the Summer has been mostly survival mode.  But, with the timing of today, with the relative unstructuredness of today, with the cloud cover and pleasant temperatures.  I thought if there was ANY chance, it was today... and I thought I should at least TRY:

  • So...... even though it was not in my thoughts until after I started this morning..... I forced myself.... and I DID IT...... I ran a FULL MARATHON RUN for the first time ever!!!!!!   That is a FULL 26.2 miles (42.16 km)!!!!  I RAN A SINGLE 26.2 mile (42.16km) RUN!
  • Again, I know that thousands of folks do this regularly.  So, it is nothing significant in the greater scheme of things.  
  • But as a grey haired, old codger.... one who used to weight damn near 300 pounds (close to 136 kg) and was never particularly physically active..... for me personally... it IS a pretty big deal.    
  • It was NOT easy.  I did want to stop.... especially when I ended up reaching ~19 miles (~30 km).  This mileage was pretty close to the proverbial "wall" that I have read is a common occurrence for people running a marathon. 
  • Even though I truly wanted to stop... I kept telling myself that today is/was likely the ONLY real chance I had left where I COULD do this in 2023 with life getting more complex again very soon.  I also reminded myself of how I had a bit of an "advantage" to do this today, as I had not ran at all on Saturday nor Sunday (I had met my weekly mileage goal on Friday last week.)  So, I kept reminding myself that this was the best shot I had for trying to actually do this.  

So.... again.... I seriously DO know this nothing significant.  But, for today, anyway.... I am going to allow myself to feel a sense of happiness at having done this.  As I hobble around the rest of the day (I am damn sore, and quite exhausted!  I admit that. I am consuming an even larger amount of fluids today to assure my muscles will have as ample an opportunity to shed/release lactic acid as possible.)  I will at least be able to feel good about having done this.  

I may even drink a beer tonight in a form of celebration!

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Wow, that is such an impressive feat! I think you deserve AT LEAST one beer. My knees, ankles and feet hurt just thinking about that many miles.

Monday, 14 August, 2023  
Blogger Pat M. said...

Professor, I suspect that if you told us your time for the 26.2 miles we would be even more impressed, but you probably left that out because you don't like patting yourself on the back. I hope you hydrate nicely, both with responsible electrolytes and celebratory beer. Congratulations on quite an accomplishment!

Monday, 14 August, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's a very big deal and not insignificant. Congrats.

As I have stated previously, I am flummoxed at how you not-young body can withstand the pounding.

Tuesday, 15 August, 2023  
Blogger Rajani Rehana said...

Great blog

Tuesday, 15 August, 2023  
Blogger jenny_o said...

I think it's amazing - congratulations! You have a lot of self-discipline and should take full credit for achieving this goal.

Tuesday, 15 August, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home