The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Exhaust

 


The word "exhaust" has been on my mind:

  • some of the definitions include.... to drain (someone) of their physical or mental resources; tire out.... use up (resources or reserves) completely....waste gases or air expelled from an engine, turbine, or other machine in the course of its operation.
  • I was imagining the word in the context of my bass clarinet playing last evening.... the sound and air coming out was a form of exhaust.  By the way, the "Dress Rehearsal" ended up going VERY WELL.... I can only hope that I can/will perform similarly this Saturday.... if I do.... I will be pleased and relieved.  
  • I feel exhaust(ed) this morning.  My run (10 miles/~16km) was very sluggish and uninspired and I was actually feeling rather "grumpy" as well.  
  • A big part of the "grumpiness" was from my wife telling me that there was a Parish Council Meeting scheduled this Thursday and the thought of this exhausts my psyche.  This is a meeting  that I technically had to attend (as a member of the Council).  Even though our actual Parish closed, it technically combined with another Parish (farther away) and the new combined "Parish" which has one church open and ours closed has me listed as a Council member because I was one in our old, now closed church.  It gives me feelings of frustration about the closure and I really do not want to go.  
  • Because of the coldness of the air, I was able to see the exhaust of several vehicles as I drove to the U this morning.  I am hoping that in the majority of these vehicles the exhaust was just mostly steam as the vehicle was warming up in the cold and not excessive pollutants from a poorly tuned vehicle. 
  • Even with my bite splint, I awoke with an exhaust(ing) soreness in my tempormandibular joint this morning, and I presume I was clenching and grinding my teeth enough to inflame that joint.  It is making my ear canal feel rather tender as usual when this occurs.  
  • I exhaust(ed) my voice physically for three hours today.  I primarily talked about early embryonic mechanisms of how the tetrapod embryo forms its limbs (arms and legs) and how perturbations in the embryonic environment can cause malformations in limb development.  The two bigger examples I spoke of included the exposure to thalidomide in humans and also the multiple limb formation that can occur in amphibians exposed to the parasitic nematode, Ribeiroia.  Thalidomide chemically short circuits biochemical parameters of  periodicity formation in limbs if an embryo is exposed to this chemical at critical periods of limb development.  Ribeiroia induces extraneous limb formation by feasting on the growing limb bud in embryonic amphibians causing them to bifurcate and each division can develop into a limb.  
  • The only exhaust I did NOT get to participate in today.... that I would have LIKED to participate in was tasting and feeling the delightful flavors, textures, aromas, and ethereal pleasures of the well tindered exhaust from one of my tobacco pipes.  
PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Sound like maybe you need some time to rest.
Coffee is on.

Tuesday, 14 November, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

I'm thankful that thalidomide wasn't permitted in this country. I've seen several episodes of Call the Midwife that address it and they are heartbreaking.

Tuesday, 14 November, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think you've exhausted the word, exhaust. Very cleverly I might add.

Thursday, 16 November, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home