The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, September 24, 2026

Rodents


After writing about the "Fage" yogurt situation yesterday, I can happily report that TODAY, I did remember to take the odd parchment paper layer off BEFORE adding my little bit of brown sugar.  I believe the purposeful writing helped me remember this task more easily.  

I also wanted to mention that I am (surprisingly and happily) able to report that this morning, my tally for my Wordle "streak" is now at 115 days.  I have to admit, however, that back on Tuesday, I almost LOST my streak!  I believe it is now safe to talk about the word, since it was the word for Tuesday, September 22nd..... and could not be NOW construed as a "spoiler" or an inappropriate "reveal" today.  So.... if I am incorrect and it is still not appropriate to talk about a past Wordle... please let me know and I will try to remove the below portion and not talk about it again:

* * * * * * * * * * *

On Tuesday, the Wordle word of the day was "STOKE" which I thought was a bit odd and a bit on the "too esoteric" side to be a "Wordle Word".  I actually DID think of the word "stoke" early in my work to solve the puzzle... and had it in my mind as a choice at my guess #3.  But, I kept dismissing using the word "stoke" as it seemed so UNLIKELY especially since I had many OTHER, seemingly more likely options..... like STOLE, STOVE and STONE.   I truly think STOKE was a strange word to have in Wordle.  You can of course "stoke" a fire, like folks do with a campfire..... and I have often used the word in a more colloquial and euphemistic sense when I would often say (or perhaps mutter under my breath) that I needed to "stoke" my pipe.  I would say this when I was smoking my pipe and I would notice that the ember in the bowl would start to prematurely "go out" and there would be a noticable decline in the beautiful, flavorful pipe smoke. 

So.... I think stoke was not a really good choice for a Wordle word.  The only other time I felt the Wordle word was inappropriate was now perhaps about two months ago, when the Wordle word of that day was "OVATE" which I did try at guess #3..... NOT because I ever thought it would BE the Wordle word of the day, but because it used a lot of new letters I had not yet tried that day.  I think "ovate" was too sciency a word for the broad public and really think it was unfortunate as a choice.  Ovate has two relatively related meanings..... it a) describes an oval shaped (egg shaped) object in biology, and also b) it is used to indicate the release of eggs (especially in insects).   I was of course happy I picked this word and did so soon my stream of guesses..... but I thought it was unfair for most folks.  

* * * * * * * * * * *

So, I am going to go to the Retiree's Cigar Group this afternoon.  I hope it is as fun and enjoyable as always!  I may ask the fellows if any of them remembers Union Leader pipe tobacco and see what they may know.  Last night, I took a quarter and gentle pried up the lid on the can again.  I smelled the leaf's aroma again.... and to ME it smelled extremely enticing.  To me, there is a definite "molasses" type of aroma, which I think seems rather wonderful to me.  I wish I could ask my Dad why he seemingly did not like Union Leader. 

I ran my miles in a rather chilly, mildly rainy environment this morning.  It was 48 degrees F (~8.5 C) at 5:15am this morning, and it was continually misting in terms of rain.  I wish I would have worn gloves.  

I better go to work with my rodents.  I have quite a bit of weaning to accomplish before heading to class.  

PipeTobacco  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home