The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, February 10, 2005


Extravegant Giving

On this day after Ash Wednesday, I am called to reflect on the following question:

Shall I be small-minded or large-minded in my giving this Lent?

The obvious answer is, of course, to be large-minded. To me, this has resulted in the following as the foci of my Lenten efforts this year:

The Three Types of Fasting I Select:

1. To fast from giving mean and negative thoughts about others.
2. To fast from receiving mean and negative thoughts from others.
3. To fast from becoming frustrated or angry and ignoring the love of family.

The Three Types of Prayer I Select:

1. Prayer to God et. al. about more than simply my fears about family and keeping family safe and healthy.
2. Prayer (discussion) with others about deeper issues beyond what is a part of the typical day-to-day work conversation
3. Prayer in my own mind in a way to be more meditative and soothing as opposed to being drastic and desperate and fearful.

The Three Types of Almsgiving I Select:

1. Devoting more time to work at a soup kitchen.
2. Identifying a series of various regional volunteer opportunities and having the five-ten minutes prior to my starting lecture in a class (the time when students filter into class) be devoted to encouraging a spirit of volunteerism.
3. Identifying new ways to be of service to my comunity.

Wish me luck, friends.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home