The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, February 07, 2005


What These 40 Days May Mean


"Do people weigh you down?
Don't carry them on your shoulders.
[Instead] take them into your heart."

. Dom Helder Camara (1962)

I believe that this quote from Dom Helder Camara (a Brazilian Bishop) is very significant for the journey I wish to take. His words speak of a purpose beyond only reacting to the actions of others. In my "Ignore the Insanity (ItI)" approach to living, I believe I have take that first step.... I am not carrying those that weigh me down upon my shoulders. There is more to do, of course, but currently I am trying to have the "Ignore the Insanity (ItI)" stick in my mind and personality so as to clear it for thought and creativity. Taking others (even the "weighty") into my heart will be harder, but also very important to learn after I have a firmly established ItI routine.

On another note, Dean wrote in my comments a suggestion that it needs to be my pipe and tobacco that I fast from during Lent. I believe I understand his reasoning, and it is valid. However, it is also a traditional sort of reasoning that he uses. I am not yet decided which approach to fasting I shall take. It may be that sort of traditional approach or if instead I need to take a more global approach. Comments are of course greatly appreciated.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home