The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Saturday, February 05, 2005


"Philosophy of Life"

The IGNORE THE INSANITY message was important for me to recall. I am very happy I have remembered that mantra that I had created a while back to help me cope with some utter mean, nasty behavior and stupidity that is occasionally in the periphery in my life. To ignore this aspect of life helps me to be stronger and happier and more content.

As we approach Lent, I think I may talk a bit more my philosophy on life. I am hopeful you will find this enjoyable and interesting. Please know that in addition to this aspect of my "philosophy", I will continue to post traditional updates as well.

For the record, I am a practicing Roman Catholic. For ME, the ideas and philosophies of the Roman Catholic faith are very, very much in keeping with how I wish to live my life and how I strive to be in this world of ours. Sometimes people think it is odd that a scientist such as myself is also religious. This is unfortunately a byproduct of the idea common to many today that to be "religious" is to give up any sense of normalcy about logic and reason. This idea about being religious is in my opinion due to the rather extreme behavior and extreme actions of who I call the "extreme fundies".... those who do not have an inkling of understanding about what the words faith, know, and prove mean. I shall leave to your own imaginations which religious factions I am refering to.

In my own philosophical construct on life, it is understandable that the word FAITH means to believe in something that is not provable. By not being provable does not mean it is not true, but in the same vein if something is NOT provable, it can and could well be false. For me that is how I view my religious faith/convictions.... I believe in God, but I nor anyone on the planet can PROVE God exists, for NONE OF US CAN KNOW with certainty that God exists. It is IMPOSSIBLE TO KNOW if God exists and it is IMPOSSIBLE TO PROVE God exists. That is the magic and the beauty of FAITH. I can believe in something (in this case, God) without proof.

Just because I believe in God, does not mean that I am at odds with people who do not. In my own beliefs, if I were to not be able to be Roman Catholic, the next faith I would select would be to become Jewish, and if that were not possible for me to select, I would be most comfortable with the agnostic or atheistic mindset. Some may find the above odd, but it is very much true for me. My FAITH allows me to believe in God, but I could easily be wholly wrong. Whether I am right or wrong has no real bearing on my life here on Earth, for my belief in the Roman Catholic Faith is simply a skeletal framework upon which I build my day-to-day life. The doctrines and dogma of the Roman Catholic Faith are a philosophical framework upon which I view how I am and how I should strive to be as a person.

As a philosophy of life, the doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church is essential to me. And even if it is actually false about God, it does not matter, for even lacking God, I would wish to behave in the same manner in which I strive to now.... basically being a deeply thinking man, who attempts to enjoy life in a way that involves service to others. Life is meant to be enjoyed and one of the biggest ways to enjoy life is to try to make a difference... to make our world a better place. Social justice is a significant aspect to my philosophy on life.

So, in a nutshell, I am going to begin my philosohpical writings here in this blog as a manner for me to discuss and describe my feelings about the events of Lent that eventually will culmunate as Easter Sunday.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home