The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Sunday, July 24, 2005

.
Kahve Turkish Coffee Shop

When I go to Lincoln, Nebraska a week from today for a conference, I shall be enjoying the research conference, but I shall also be relishing the delight of the Kahve Turkish Coffee Shop. Although I am not of Middle Eastern descent, the nargile/hookah have always been something that has caught my attention and has been a passion to indulge in. I remember a variety of images in films, cartoons, newspapers, etc over the decades that show contented Middle Eastern gentlemen indulging in this form of tobacco in coffee houses and cafes and homes. I remember those images well and eagerly await the experience.

My only prior trial of the nargile/hookah was in a very rushed experience while traveling in a conference in India. I was much younger then and was very cognizant of my two presentations that I was to make at this international conference. I was so focused (being young and a bit naieve) on having these presentations go well, I did not find as much time as I could have to explore the beautiful country of India. Do not get me wrong, I did have some pleasant experiences.... went on a safari, had some amazing food, etc... but I did not get the chance to experience fully the nargile/hookah indulgence. My very brief foray was on the taxi ride back to the airport when I was scheduled to leave where I happened to spot a hookah coffee shop and asked the driver to stop. Unfortunately time was short and the time of set-up was long at this establishment, so when my hookah arrived I was already nervous about making my flight and did not get to stay.

This experience shall be different. I have located the site, and shall puruse their menu and offerings and indulge deeply in this experience. It shall be the fullfillment of a nearly lifelong wish. From what I have gathered over the years, the tobacco is exceptionally powerful and has a harsh quality to it... though the harshness is dimished by the hookah itself. It should be absolutely wonderful.

My plan is to experience the place by myself the first evening, getting advice about the most traditional and strongest tobacco to try. Then on other evenings, I am hoping to convince some of my friends that I believe are going to the meeting to also indulge in the hookah cafe with me... perhaps after partaking in libations prior to the experience.

It should be grand.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home