The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

.

"Bush Inherited A Recession"???????


My mother seems to be doing adequately today.

* * * * *

Orwellian double speak is rearing its ugly head again, 22 years after the title of the work, "1984".

I was half watching/listening to CNN this morning as I half read the newspaper when a statement from a member of the Bush administration scrolled across the screen. Unfortunately I was too flabbergasted by the statement and did not catch who it was a quote from, but the statement was...

"President Bush has inherited a recession from the Clinton administration."

If this isn't a classic example of trying to rewrite history through Orwellian double-speak, then I will eat my hat, and my pipe and my shoe. The economy and the nation and the world was far, far, far better off during the Clinton years than during the current administration. For the most part, Clinton got it right, other than the stupidity of NAFTA and GATT. Before some of your more conservative sorts howl about his illicit affair(s)... I do not care particularly about that sort of thing. For me, the affair(s) fall into personal business and have nothing to do with his governing ability. I suspect that a very high percentage of presidents have had mistresses and/or affairs.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home