The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, October 13, 2006

.
Advice to G@P and Animal Crackers

My friend G@P asked me the following in a comment:

"Being a pipe-smoker-in-training, I'm curious...What do fellow pipe-smokers bond over? Various tobaccos? Types or makes of favored pipes? Anecdotes of same? Having read your essay of your first experience with the pipe, how would you suggest a novice begin who hasn't had the benefit of a revered dad's guidance? If you had to do it all over again, would you begin with a cheap, store-bought pipe and tobacco and experiment from there? I seek the benefit of your experience and insight, sir..."


The "bond" of pipe-smokers is simply that we share something that is a) created of a long, noble, but simple history, b) practiced usually by those that have a logical, thoughtful demeanor, c) participated in by people who tend to be more kind-hearted than not, d) typically indulged in by those with democratic or libertarian political leanings (or the equivalent in other countries), and e) a far too rare hobby in this harried, rushed, and chaotic society.

Therefore, when one pipe smoker sees another, he already has significant knowledge of that fellow and feels friendly towards him.

As for the question about what the novice should do.... find other pipe smokers.... sample all sorts of tobacco to find what you like, and just practice.

The pipe, be it cheap or expensive, can be a beautiful, artistic tool for you... if it is one you like and find attractive. Therefore, if you find one you like, whether it is cheap or expensive, it is the right one for you and will serve you well.

Also, G@P, feel free to ask further questions anytime. I enjoy talking pipes with anyone who shares the interest.

* * * * *

I have been feeling quite nervous and edgy all evening. It had been a very nice day at work, but I am not feeling quite up to snuff emotionally at home tonight. Part of me is worried my mother may be starting to get a cold (and with her physical nature, even a cold can be serious). Also, I seem to not have been able to connect very well in an emotional sense with my wife today (It has been a busy day for both of us.), and therefore I do not have a thorough read on her feelings and needs tonight. Also, the abrupt drop in temperatures in the last 24 hours is a rather shocking and starkly rapid change (We have an inch of snow on the ground now.). I am going to go now and lay in front of the television in just a few moments to watch the classic Marx Brother's "Animal Crackers" film. It is being broadcast on Turner Classic Movies. I hope to see if it can help me feel more content and less nervous.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home