The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

.
Comment for Andrew's Blog

Some yahoo posted a statement on Andrew's blog that seems to exude negativity. I wished to answer this person, but something is amiss in Andrew's comment section at the moment. Instead of losing my comment, I decided to post it here in case Andrew stops by to read it.

Andrew... something seems amiss with your comments section, it seems I cannot log in the old way this afternoon. I am not sure why. I am not sure if others are experiencing this difficulty as well.

Anonymous:

You ask how Andrew affords his lifestyle. Andrew affords his lifestyle in the same way we all do.... a mixture of sources.

Andrew does not currently work at a paying job, for he is currently working at stabilizing his medications. However, he has worked extensively in many different venues in the past. He lives a quiet, gentle, low-cost life based on frugality. Frugality does not mean being destitute or downtrodden or skimping. Living a frugal life is about enjoying and being enriched by what can be afforded in a given financial situation.

So, in a nutshell, Andrew lives within his means, from a variety of income sources, including SSDI, some help from family and friends, and his own past income from previous jobs.

If we look at the great scheme of things in society, I suspect the same sorts of avenues exist for many of us. I may have a job currently, but if I had a medical issue that required it, I would be very happy to acquire SSDI funds, which is their exact purpose. Additionally, I know I help in the support of many people, including my elderly mother and my children, and the relatives I help also contribute to their own lives in financial ways as well, such as in retirement income my mother receives.

Add to this fact the very idea that Andrew, as well as myself as well as many others SUPPORT society by living a good, appropriate, life of caring and service to others... work that does not necessairlly earn cash, but is a value to society, and you can see that your question, which on the surface sounds a bit mean and condescending is actually one that from the standpoint of philosophy is far more complex and multifaceted than you may realize.

Pehaps a question you (anonymous 2:28) might want to consider for yourself is....

We all, in each of us who is living, gives and takes to the greater good of society in one way or another.... DO YOU give and take from society in a way that you feel is approrpriate?

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home